Timothy Appnel
Appnel Solutions
http://appnel.com/
kino simple? [ In reply to ]
On Oct 23, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Timothy Appnel wrote:

> Sorry if I'm missing this in the KinoSearch bundle, but is there
> something akin to Plucene::Simple for KinoSearch? Just making sure I'm
> not reinventing the wheel if I can help it. Thanks.

There is no KinoSearch::Simple. To get started, I suggest that you
copy the demo apps out of KinoSearch::Docs::Tutorial and adapt them
to your needs.

KinoSearch::Simple would have been written a long time ago, but it
runs into the same problem that, say, a Catalyst plugin would run
into: KS is still officially alpha software, and the API and the file
format are still subject to change. Because of the way CPAN works
and the way Perl is compiled immediately before runtime, any
backwards compatibility breakage is likely to affect end users
immediately upon upgrading. If KS changes its index format in a
backwards incompatible way (and that's now true in the subversion
trunk), then users of the theoretical KinoSearch::Simple would be
faced with the not-so-simple problem of finding that their search
apps no longer work after upgrading. The answer would be: go rebuild
the index from scratch. I didn't think such a caveat jibed well with
the concept of a "simple" interface.

Unfortunately supporting old file formats requires extraordinary
effort because of a design flaw propagated from Lucene to KinoSearch:
the library is tightly bound to its file format. This is something
I'm working on.

Breakage is scheduled for KS 0.20. If all goes well, I think that
the "alpha" label will be removed shortly afterwards.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/