When I try and build KinoSearch from SVN it doesn't work.

Running "Build test" gives me a bunch of errors like this:

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
/home/edward/src/kinosearch/perl/blib/arch/auto/KinoSearch/KinoSearch.so:
undefined symbol: sb_stemmer_new

Any ideas?
--
Edward.

Re: undefined symbol: sb_stemmer_new [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:32:37PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
> /home/edward/src/kinosearch/perl/blib/arch/auto/KinoSearch/KinoSearch.so:
> undefined symbol: sb_stemmer_new
>
> Any ideas?

KinoSearch::Analysis::Stemmer is now using the Snowball C API directly, rather
than going through the Lingua::Stem::Snowball Perl interface. This should
speed up stemming, as there's less string copying going on.

However, in order to avoid adding the overhead of compiling the Snowball
library to KinoSearch's build cycle, right now SVN trunk counts on Dynaloader
to load Lingua::Stem::Snowball and its associated shared object before
Stemmer's constructor needs sb_stemmer_new().

This works on my main Mac OS X dev laptop, but I now see that the symbol isn't
resolving on my FreeBSD box even after Lingua::Stem::Snowball loads, just as it
isn't for you. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but band-aiding a fix
isn't hard -- we can just revert to going through Perl for now. I'll try to
get to that this evening if a better solution doesn't present itself in the
interim.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: undefined symbol: sb_stemmer_new [ In reply to ]
>> /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
>> /home/edward/src/kinosearch/perl/blib/arch/auto/KinoSearch/
>> KinoSearch.so:
>> undefined symbol: sb_stemmer_new

I've started a thread on PerlMonks about this issue:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=691130

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: undefined symbol: sb_stemmer_new [ In reply to ]
On Jun 9, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Edward Betts wrote:

> Any ideas?

The problem has been resolved by a patch to Lingua::Stem::Snowball.
Explanation in the PerlMonks thread: <http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=691130
>.

If you'd like the fix right away, you can install svn trunk for
Lingua::Stem::Snowball:

svn co http://www.rectangular.com/svn/snowstem/trunk snowstem

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: undefined symbol: sb_stemmer_new [ In reply to ]
2008/6/10 Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>:
> If you'd like the fix right away, you can install svn trunk for
> Lingua::Stem::Snowball

Brilliant, that works. Thank you.

--
Edward.