of reasons - it seems related to dependencies and C compilers.

However, before I expose my ignorance any more, I want to do an exhaustive
search of the KinoSearch discussion forum entries to make sure the problems
haven't already been reported. Is there a gmane.com or other interface that
will look at all the archives, or do I need to go through each month's
entries by hand? I know a google search will pull up some links, but I'd
much rather see the full threads in context. It seems strange that a search
package doesn't have a capability to search its own forum data...

Re: How to search KinoSearch Archives? [ In reply to ]
You may want to give the Camel Pack a try - it's one of those packages
which happily "just works".

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=158775&package_id=178025

My compiles of KS on windows XP (not that I dwell there much) using this
system works like a charm - even using 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' compiles and
install the required modules below for KS like a charm.

ExtUtils::ParseXS
ExtUtils::CBuilder
Lingua::StopWords
Lingua::Stem::Snowball

I've never used activestate perl and cygwin, so I can't help you there.

Besides, "CamelPack" is just such a cool name WRT the subject matter.
More info here: http://camelpack.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page

Regards
Henry

Re: How to search KinoSearch Archives? [ In reply to ]
On Oct 11, 2007, at 9:05 AM, roger wrote:

> I have been trying to install KinoSearch on Windows XP SP2 and Windows
> Server 2003 with both ActiveState Perl 5.8.8 and Cygwin present. I
> have also
> tried on an Ubuntu 7.04. All my various attempts are failing for a
> variety
> of reasons - it seems related to dependencies and C compilers.

What version of KinoSearch are you trying to install? 0.161 will
work with Windows, but the devel branch 0.20_xx won't.

It looks like Randy Kobes was on the ball and whipped up a PPM for KS
0.161: <http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/KinoSearch>. That should help
you with ActiveState.

Ubuntu should present no problems for either the stable or the devel
branch, so I dunno what's up with that.

> Is there a gmane.com or other interface that
> will look at all the archives, or do I need to go through each month's
> entries by hand?

The rectangular.com site search includes the KinoSearch list
content. But the gossamer-threads archive is nicer: <http://
www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/kinosearch/discuss/>.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research