Mailing List Archive

KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text
Greets,

I'm contemplating some mods to FieldSpec and Schema.

* Rename KinoSearch::Schema::FieldSpec to
KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text.
* Within the %fields hash, make 'text' an alias for
'KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text'.
* Reserve all-lower-case FieldSpec class names for future use.

The most immediated effect of this would be to cut down on typing:

# before
our %fields = (
foo => 'KinoSearch::Schema::FieldSpec',
bar => 'KinoSearch::Schema::FieldSpec',
);

# after
our %fields = (
foo => 'text',
bar => 'text',
);

There are two other reasons.

First, I intend to write a generic spec for the invindex file format,
and
the word "KinoSearch" shouldn't appear in it.

Second, it reserves space for the addition of 'float', 'blob',
'keyword', and so
on.

our %fields = (
foo => 'text',
bar => 'blob', # alias for KinoSearch::FieldSpec::blob
baz => 'text::unstored', # alias for
KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text::unstored
);

If KinoSearch::Schema::FieldSpec sticks around for now as a subclass/
alias of KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text, then this change doesn't have
to be immediately disruptive.

Thoughts?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text [ In reply to ]
On 9/5/07, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> I'm contemplating some mods to FieldSpec and Schema.
>
> * Rename KinoSearch::Schema::FieldSpec to
> KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text.
> * Within the %fields hash, make 'text' an alias for
> 'KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text'.
> * Reserve all-lower-case FieldSpec class names for future use.

I haven't thought about it previously, but from your description this
seems like a fine plan and a general improvement in clarity.

---

Does your recent surge of messages on the list mean you have time to
be thinking about KinoSearch again? I took some time away from it,
but I've got a backlog of thoughts on positions that I'd like your
feedback on sometime.

Nathan Kurz
nate@verse.com

Re: KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text [ In reply to ]
On Sep 5, 2007, at 12:12 PM, Nathan Kurz wrote:

> On 9/5/07, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> I'm contemplating some mods to FieldSpec and Schema.
>>
>> * Rename KinoSearch::Schema::FieldSpec to
>> KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text.
>> * Within the %fields hash, make 'text' an alias for
>> 'KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text'.
>> * Reserve all-lower-case FieldSpec class names for future use.
>
> I haven't thought about it previously, but from your description this
> seems like a fine plan and a general improvement in clarity.

Cool.

> Does your recent surge of messages on the list mean you have time to
> be thinking about KinoSearch again?

Yes. Things are going well. :)

I haven't cleared out my backlog yet. Lemme go finish off another
reply...

> I took some time away from it,
> but I've got a backlog of thoughts on positions that I'd like your
> feedback on sometime.

Excellent.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: KinoSearch::FieldSpec::text [ In reply to ]
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> The most immediated effect of this would be to cut down on typing:

$less_typing++

> There are two other reasons.
>
> First, I intend to write a generic spec for the invindex file format, and
> the word "KinoSearch" shouldn't appear in it.
>
> Second, it reserves space for the addition of 'float', 'blob',
> 'keyword', and so
> on.

natively supported field types make a lot of sense to me.
I like.

--
Peter Karman . peter@peknet.com . http://peknet.com/