Mailing List Archive

Re: Can't find clear QAM channels on frequencies 543000000 and 549000000
Hi Devin,

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM, faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:
>> I have an HVR-1600 that can't find three clear QAM channels. Using
>> information from silicondust.com, I think these channels are on frequencies
>> 543000000 and 549000000 (analog cable 77 & 78). I can see these channels on
>> HDTVs in other rooms of my home. And the HVR-1600 can tune 8 clear QAM
>> channels on 5 different frequencies:
>> three on 93, 639000000
>> one on 94, 645000000
>> two on 102, 663000000
>> one on 106, 687000000
>> one on 118, 759000000 (although this one is video on demand and is noisy)
>>
>> So I guess I'm wondering if you can offer any insight as to why I'm having
>> trouble with frequencies 543000000 and 549000000. Could it be a clue as to
>> whether the problem is the coax cabling leading to the HVR-1600, an issue
>> with the PCI bus, or just the fact that a PCI card doesn't have the
>> shielding an HDTV has?
>>
>> FWIW, I have yet to try connecting one of my HDTVs to the same coax input.
>> However, I did try connecting the HVR-1600 to the same input used by my
>> cable modem back in March/April (should be cleanest coax connection in my
>> house) and MythTV's scanner couldn't find these three channels there. It's
>> been so long, I don't remember if I tried the scan utility with that
>> connection. My focus at the time was an issue with audio noise on some
>> analog channels (which Andy was able to fix, Many Thanks).
>>
>> TIA,
>> Helen
>>
>> P.S. Thought Devin would like to know his recent cx18 fixes have improved
>> signal quality on the clear QAM channels I can tune. Tuning 7 channels for
>> about 23 seconds each and playing with mplayer 3 seconds after tuning
>> (excluding video on demand), I found that:
>> - Signal strength reported by azap increased from an average of 12c to 13F
>> - Reports of non-zero BERs and/or UNCs dropped from 6 in 147 samples to 1 in
>> 147 samples
>> - mplayer reports of 'a52: CRC check failed!' dropped from 24 to 2
>>
>> Subjectively, the audio and video quality is better. And MythTV seems much
>> happier as it's less likely to dump core playing back recordings from two of
>> these channels.
>
> Hello Helen,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to try out my patches before writing the
> mailing list - since that would have been the first thing I suggested.
>
> I would suggest trying the following:
>
> See if the results differ with /usr/bin/scan. This could be some
> issue with mythtv's channel scanner.

My most recent tests were with scan, using both w_scan output and various scan files provided with dvb-apps. Guess I didn't make that clear.

> Try an actual TV and see if it can receive the channel.

That is my next step. Either that or live without the channels.

> Try the HVR-1600 under Windows, if possible. As far as I know, the
> Linux driver is at the point where it should behave identically to the
> Windows driver, so if there is some inconsistency, I would definitely
> be interested in hearing about it.

I did try that back in March/April and the Hauppauge s/w couldn't find the channels either. In order to do that test, I had to move the cards into another machine with XP installed, and I don't have that computer anymore. The current machine only has Win2000 (new computer, old win2k CD) and the Hauppauge s/w wasn't happy with that OS.

I guess I was hoping mostly for some insight into where these frequencies are on the VHF band, if they're somehow more vulnerable to signal quality, noise, etc. Something that might explain why they're giving me trouble.

Thanks,
Helen

Re: Can't find clear QAM channels on frequencies 543000000 and 549000000 [ In reply to ]
Hi Helen,

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Helen Buus <buus@hbuus.com> wrote:
> My most recent tests were with scan, using both w_scan output and various
> scan files provided with dvb-apps. Guess I didn't make that clear.

Ah, ok. Sorry, I just misunderstood.

>> Try an actual TV and see if it can receive the channel.
>
> That is my next step. Either that or live without the channels.

This would indeed be an interesting data point (if your TV can receive
the channel but the HVR-1600 cannot).

>> Try the HVR-1600 under Windows, if possible.  As far as I know, the
>> Linux driver is at the point where it should behave identically to the
>> Windows driver, so if there is some inconsistency, I would definitely
>> be interested in hearing about it.
>
> I did try that back in March/April and the Hauppauge s/w couldn't find the
> channels either. In order to do that test, I had to move the cards into
> another machine with XP installed, and I don't have that computer anymore.
> The current machine only has Win2000 (new computer, old win2k CD) and the
> Hauppauge s/w wasn't happy with that OS.

Generally speaking, my goal is for the Linux driver to work "as well
as WIndows". I do this because I know the Hauppauge developers who
work full-time on the Windows drivers put a hell of a lot more time
into tuning/optimization of both the hardware and software, so I
basically take for granted that if it doesn't work under Windows, it's
not going to work at all. There are always exceptions to the rule, of
course.

One thing that might also be interesting to try: hack a channels.conf
file so that it has the frequencies in question, and run azap against
the frequency. Then see if it shows a lock. This might be some weird
case where you are getting a signal lock but the video/audio PIDs are
not being setup properly, or some weird edge-case where scan is
failing when it shouldn't. You can paste the output of azap in an
email if you want me to take a look.

Cheers,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

Re: Can't find clear QAM channels on frequencies 543000000 and 549000000 [ In reply to ]
Hi Devin,

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>>> Try an actual TV and see if it can receive the channel.
>> That is my next step. Either that or live without the channels.
>
> This would indeed be an interesting data point (if your TV can receive
> the channel but the HVR-1600 cannot).

OK, I hope to try it on Monday.

> Generally speaking, my goal is for the Linux driver to work "as well
> as WIndows". I do this because I know the Hauppauge developers who
> work full-time on the Windows drivers put a hell of a lot more time
> into tuning/optimization of both the hardware and software, so I
> basically take for granted that if it doesn't work under Windows, it's
> not going to work at all. There are always exceptions to the rule, of
> course.

Yes, makes perfect sense and it's the reason I gave up last Spring.

> One thing that might also be interesting to try: hack a channels.conf
> file so that it has the frequencies in question, and run azap against
> the frequency. Then see if it shows a lock. This might be some weird
> case where you are getting a signal lock but the video/audio PIDs are
> not being setup properly, or some weird edge-case where scan is
> failing when it shouldn't. You can paste the output of azap in an
> email if you want me to take a look.

I've thought about that, but I have no idea what values to try for the video & audio pids. For the few channels I have, the video pids range from 64 to 7217 and the audio pids are video pid +1. It would be nice if silicondust.com's web site had that info, but it doesn't. Can you suggest some reasonable values to start with?

Thanks,
Helen

Re: Can't find clear QAM channels on frequencies 543000000 and 549000000 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM, faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:
> I've thought about that, but I have no idea what values to try for the video
> & audio pids. For the few channels I have, the video pids range from 64 to
> 7217 and the audio pids are video pid +1. It would be nice if
> silicondust.com's web site had that info, but it doesn't. Can you suggest
> some reasonable values to start with?

At this point, it doesn't matter. Set the PIDs to *anything* and see
if you actually get a signal lock (which would occur regardless of
whether the PIDs are valid).

If you get a channel lock, then that means that the problem is with
the channel scanner figuring out the PIDs (or some other problem), and
we can investigate further. If you don't get a signal lock, then
there is no point in even worrying about what the PIDs should be.

Cheers,

Devin