Mailing List Archive

Re: Fix memory corruption during IR initialization for various tuner cards
On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 10:05 -0700, Brian Rogers wrote:
> Mauro,
>
> The attached git-formatted patch fixes a regression I just found that
> was introduced in 2.6.31-rc1. I hope it can make it into the release.
>
> Brian

Brian,

Thanks for solving my cx18 problem for me. :)

Dustin,

Could you please try this patch for the IR receiver on the HVR-1600 with
ir-kbd-i2c?

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb/rev/30f721b428b9

Regards,
Andy

Re: Fix memory corruption during IR initialization for various tuner cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 20:06 -0400, SoxSlayer wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:09:47 -0400
> Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 10:05 -0700, Brian Rogers wrote:
> > > Mauro,
> > >
> > > The attached git-formatted patch fixes a regression I just found
> > > that was introduced in 2.6.31-rc1. I hope it can make it into the
> > > release.
> > >
> > > Brian
> >
> > Brian,
> >
> > Thanks for solving my cx18 problem for me. :)
> >
> > Dustin,
> >
> > Could you please try this patch for the IR receiver on the HVR-1600
> > with ir-kbd-i2c?
> >
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb/rev/30f721b428b9
> >

> > Regards,
> > Andy
> >

> Andy,

Dustin,

> Thanks that seems to have fixed it.

Good.

> I did have to make some syntax
> changes to the x8f0811_ir_init_data declaration in order for it to
> compile on my system. I suspect it has to do with the syntax of the gcc
> extension to initialize structs but I haven't researched it any. My gcc
> version is 4.3.2-r3. If you want I can upload a patch.

No. I turns out, I'm careless. The semicolons in a struct
initialization are wrong; they should be commas. Try the latest here:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb

If your patch has more changes, then yes please send it.

I haven't found time to upgrade either of my two systems to 2.26.30
because they are heavily used. I'm making patches for this without
compiling.

Regards,
Andy

Re: Fix memory corruption during IR initialization for various tuner cards [ In reply to ]
Andy Walls wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 20:06 -0400, SoxSlayer wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:09:47 -0400
>> Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> wrote:

>>> Brian,
>>>
>>> Thanks for solving my cx18 problem for me. :)
>>>
>>> Dustin,
>>>
>>> Could you please try this patch for the IR receiver on the HVR-1600
>>> with ir-kbd-i2c?
>>>
>>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb/rev/30f721b428b9
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Andy,
>
> Dustin,
>
>> Thanks that seems to have fixed it.
>
> Good.
>

>> I did have to make some syntax
>> changes to the x8f0811_ir_init_data declaration in order for it to
>> compile on my system. I suspect it has to do with the syntax of the gcc
>> extension to initialize structs but I haven't researched it any. My gcc
>> version is 4.3.2-r3. If you want I can upload a patch.
>>

> No. I turns out, I'm careless. The semicolons in a struct
> initialization are wrong; they should be commas. Try the latest here:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb
>
> If your patch has more changes, then yes please send it.
>
> I haven't found time to upgrade either of my two systems to 2.26.30
> because they are heavily used. I'm making patches for this without
> compiling.

If I can be of help with this testing, please let me know. I generally
move to the newest kernels about as soon as Gentoo puts them in ~arch.
(Kind of like Debian unstable, but I only run my kernels and a few
select packages that way, not the whole machine.) Oops, this machine is
only at 2.6.30-gentoo-r5, and r6 came out last week. How slovenly of
me. (Come to think of it, this update was the infamous kernel security
problem, so I'd better get on the stick.)

Sounds like I want to stick with drivers from the v4l-dvb website until
2.6.32, I guess.

Dale Pontius

Re: Fix memory corruption during IR initialization for various tuner cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 22:06 -0400, Dale Pontius wrote:
> Andy Walls wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 20:06 -0400, SoxSlayer wrote:

> >> Andy,
> >
> > Dustin,
> >
> >> Thanks that seems to have fixed it.
> >
> > Good.
> >

> >> I did have to make some syntax
> >> changes to the x8f0811_ir_init_data declaration in order for it to
> >> compile on my system. I suspect it has to do with the syntax of the gcc
> >> extension to initialize structs but I haven't researched it any. My gcc
> >> version is 4.3.2-r3. If you want I can upload a patch.
> >>

> > No. I turns out, I'm careless. The semicolons in a struct
> > initialization are wrong; they should be commas. Try the latest here:
> >
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb
> >
> > If your patch has more changes, then yes please send it.
> >
> > I haven't found time to upgrade either of my two systems to 2.26.30
> > because they are heavily used. I'm making patches for this without
> > compiling.

Dale,

> If I can be of help with this testing, please let me know.

Well, Dustin has helped me fix my two 5 sytax errors with this one.
Feel free to test though, if you use ir-kbd-i2c for receiving IR.

> I generally
> move to the newest kernels about as soon as Gentoo puts them in ~arch.
> (Kind of like Debian unstable, but I only run my kernels and a few
> select packages that way, not the whole machine.)

I need to get some new drives and setup either some new partitions or
virtual machines, so maybe upgrading won't be so painful.

> Oops, this machine is
> only at 2.6.30-gentoo-r5, and r6 came out last week. How slovenly of
> me. (Come to think of it, this update was the infamous kernel security
> problem, so I'd better get on the stick.)

> Sounds like I want to stick with drivers from the v4l-dvb website until
> 2.6.32, I guess.

If you want HVR-1600 IR to work with your setup, then yes I guess so.

Regards,
Andy