Mailing List Archive

Hauppauge HVR1600 or HVR1800
I just had a quick question. I'm getting my computer replaced, and with
regards to the tv tuner, I have a choice between the HVR1600 and the
HVR1800. With regards to Linux compatibility, which one would be better
suited? I'm normally running the latest Ubuntu 64-bit.

Corey Quilliam
cquilliam@gmail.com
Re: Hauppauge HVR1600 or HVR1800 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 14:30 -0230, Corey Quilliam wrote:
> I just had a quick question. I'm getting my computer replaced, and
> with regards to the tv tuner, I have a choice between the HVR1600 and
> the HVR1800. With regards to Linux compatibility, which one would be
> better suited?

Both should be well supported.

The cx18 driver has a slight advantage in:
- has working FM radio support
- let's LIRC attach for IR
- working VBI (I'm not sure if the cx23885 driver has VBI working)

The HVR-1800 has an advantage in that it's PCIe vs PCI. PCI slots are
hard to come by on modern computers. Don't plan to use PCI slots unless
you have to.

I use the HVR-1600 with MythTV. I have no experience with the HVR-1800.

> I'm normally running the latest Ubuntu 64-bit.

64 bit isn't an issue really.

>From what I see on the mailing lists, Ubuntu can bring some headaches
when building the latest driver from the v4l-dvb repository. The
cx23885 driver (HVR-1800) changes at a slower pace than the cx18 driver
(HVR-1600), so if you're not into building the latest driver frequently,
the cx23885 driver has an edge there.

(Disclaimer: I'm a Fedora user. I actively maintain the cx18 driver for
the HVR-1600. I have only submitted one fix to cx23885 driver for the
HVR-1800 when someone griped it was broken in interacting with an
HVR-1200.)

Regards,
Andy

Re: Hauppauge HVR1600 or HVR1800 [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 14:30 -0230, Corey Quilliam wrote:
>> I just had a quick question. I'm getting my computer replaced, and
>> with regards to the tv tuner, I have a choice between the HVR1600 and
>> the HVR1800. With regards to Linux compatibility, which one would be
>> better suited?
>

> Both should be well supported.
>
> The cx18 driver has a slight advantage in:
> - has working FM radio support
> - let's LIRC attach for IR
> - working VBI (I'm not sure if the cx23885 driver has VBI working)
>
> The HVR-1800 has an advantage in that it's PCIe vs PCI. PCI slots are
> hard to come by on modern computers. Don't plan to use PCI slots unless
> you have to.

But does not yet support ntsc (analogue) as of yet does it?
or am I missing something...
--Robert

Re: Hauppauge HVR1600 or HVR1800 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 11:02 -0500, harlock@pclynk.net wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 14:30 -0230, Corey Quilliam wrote:
> >> I just had a quick question. I'm getting my computer replaced, and
> >> with regards to the tv tuner, I have a choice between the HVR1600 and
> >> the HVR1800. With regards to Linux compatibility, which one would be
> >> better suited?
> >

> > Both should be well supported.
> >
> > The cx18 driver has a slight advantage in:
> > - has working FM radio support
> > - let's LIRC attach for IR
> > - working VBI (I'm not sure if the cx23885 driver has VBI working)
> >
> > The HVR-1800 has an advantage in that it's PCIe vs PCI. PCI slots are
> > hard to come by on modern computers. Don't plan to use PCI slots unless
> > you have to.
>
> But does not yet support ntsc (analogue) as of yet does it?
> or am I missing something...
> --Robert

I looked through the file

linux/drivers/media/video/cx23885/cx23885-cards.c

before my initial post, looking at HVR-1800 support, and it looked
pretty complete for HVR-1800 (but not the 1880lp).

Steve Toth said analog worked fine for him on 2 March 2009:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg02237.html

but people are reporting some problems. It's not clear whether those
reporting problems have the latest drvier or not.

In my mind, the HVR-1600 is a safer bet for having it "just work".

A system level issue, that can happen to anyone with a PCI card like the
HVR-1600, though is sharing the CX23418 PCI IRQ line with some other
device that has a device driver with a poorly written IRQ handler. That
situation on a PCI bus can cause poor performance with the CX23418
firmware (which doesn't like being ignored for long). I'm not sure if
it can be an issue on a PCIe bus.

Regards,
Andy