Mailing List Archive

pvr250 and dvb-t: races during initialization
Hi *

Recently I added DVB-T card to my KnopMyth R5F27 based backend.
My backend is:
-r5f27 + ivtv 10.0.1
-3x hauppauge pvr250
-1x hauppauge Nova-T (recently added)

Issue is that sometimes (every few reboots/restarts) one analog card
is unavailable.
Scanning dmesg shows me that in fully working backend I have:

root@mythtv:~# dmesg | grep -i video
Boot video device is 0000:01:00.0
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
ivtv0: Registered device video1 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv1: Registered device video2 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv1: Registered device video33 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv1: Registered device video25 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv2: Registered device video3 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv2: Registered device video34 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv2: Registered device video26 for encoder PCM (320 kB)

When system boots with unavailable card - in dmesg I see first pvr250
and dvb-t having swapped video devices (pvr250 has assigned to video0
and dvb-t assigned to video1).
It is obvious that in such case backend can't access pvr250 card as it
has video[x] device different than declared in myth config.

Problem start to manifest after adding dvb-t card.

In my system all my pvr250 cards are declared as ivtv devices, while
dvb-t seems to be served by v4l layer.
Maybe this is source of my problems as I have 2 diferent subsystems
(ivtv and v4l) which are concurrently inicializing my hardware ?.
I was trying to setup pvr250 cards as v4l devices - but result is black
screen from pvr250 sources.

Do somebody has advice how to resolve this issue ?

thx in advance
Re: pvr250 and dvb-t: races during initialization [ In reply to ]
> Recently I added DVB-T card to my KnopMyth R5F27 based backend.
> My backend is:
> -r5f27 + ivtv 10.0.1
> -3x hauppauge pvr250
> -1x hauppauge Nova-T (recently added)
>
> Issue is that sometimes (every few reboots/restarts) one analog card
> is unavailable.
> Scanning dmesg shows me that in fully working backend I have:
>
> root@mythtv:~# dmesg | grep -i video
> Boot video device is 0000:01:00.0
> Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
> ivtv0: Registered device video1 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
> ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
> ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
> ivtv1: Registered device video2 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
> ivtv1: Registered device video33 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
> ivtv1: Registered device video25 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
> ivtv2: Registered device video3 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
> ivtv2: Registered device video34 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
> ivtv2: Registered device video26 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
>

> When system boots with unavailable card - in dmesg I see first pvr250
> and dvb-t having swapped video devices (pvr250 has assigned to video0
> and dvb-t assigned to video1).
> It is obvious that in such case backend can't access pvr250 card as it
> has video[x] device different than declared in myth config.
>
> Problem start to manifest after adding dvb-t card.
> In my system all my pvr250 cards are declared as ivtv devices, while
> dvb-t seems to be served by v4l layer.
> Maybe this is source of my problems as I have 2 diferent subsystems
> (ivtv and v4l) which are concurrently inicializing my hardware ?.
> I was trying to setup pvr250 cards as v4l devices - but result is black
> screen from pvr250 sources.

I had a similar problem as you when I added a pcHDTV HD-5500 to my
system. Instead of using udev rules, I postponed loading the modules for
the HD-5500 by:

1) adding a file, /etc/modprobe.d/hd-5500.conf, to first blacklist the
modules. The file has these contents:
blacklist cx8800
blacklist cx8802
blacklist cx88_dvb
blacklist cx88_alsa

2) then loading the necessary modules by adding the following lines to
/etc/modules:
cx8800
cx88_dvb
cx88_alsa

I think knoppix based distros, like knoppmyth, use the same
configuration files as my distro, mythbuntu, but I could be wrong.

This worked for me and took me less time than figuring out how udev
rules work and then how to use the device names the rules create in
mythtv-setup, but either method should work.

The modules you would need to blacklist and then load are probably not
the same. The linuxtv.org wiki should tell you what modules support the
nova-t.

HTH,
Helen