Mailing List Archive

M179 static output resolved + 0.4.0 install to wrong directory
Hi All,

I recently went through a bit of an 'episode' after an upgrade to
0.4.0 that I thought I would relay in case it helps anyone else out.

1st: 0.4.0 installed to wrong directory

I run debian unstable/sid with the stock 2.6.12-1-686 kernel as such
ivtv should be installed to /lib/modules/2.6.12-1-686/ivtv however
make install installed ivtv to /lib/modules/2.6.12/ivtv. Figuring out
why my old 0.2.0 version of ivtv kept loading took a while ;-).
Copying the files from /lib/modules/2.6.12/ivtv to
/lib/modules/2.6.12-1-686/ivtv solved the problem. I had a quick look
at the driver/Makefile2.6 and didn't see an obvious reason why it
installed the modules to the wrong directory, but I know next to
nothing about Makefile syntax. uname -r returns the proper
2.6.12-1-686. Thinking back I recall this happening on at least one
other occassion with a 0.2.0 version.

2nd: Nothing but static on 2nd and 3rd encoders

My first encoder (PVR-250) worked fine, however my second and third
(both M179s) produced nothing but static. The output from the IVTV
normally be:

card 1:
ivtv1 warning: i2c client addr: 0x00 not found for command 0x4004760f!
card 2:
ivtv2 warning: i2c client addr: 0x00 not found for command 0x40307603!

This lead me to the thread here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ivtv-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg08472.html

I had already renamed the following stock kernel modules:
msp3400.ko.old
tda9887.ko.old
tuner.ko.old
tveeprom.ko.old

and had rebooted the machine (numerous times :-p) since the renaming
so these modules could not have been loaded but...

Just to humour myself I unloaded i2c_core, i2c_viapro, i2c_algo_bit,
msp3400, tda9887, saa7115, tveeprom, tuner, and ivtv and then reloaded
ivtv. This did the trick and the tuners on all three cards were
correctly loaded and I am now getting proper output from all three
cards.

I haven't had a chance to look into what the heck was going on and why
unloading/reloading the modules would make a difference, but I see I
had i2c-algo-bit, msp3400, saa7115, tuner listed in /etc/modules in
addition to ivtv which may have been the cause. I'll reboot at some
point to confirm whether this was the problem.

- Ben

--
A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb?
M179 static output resolved + 0.4.0 install to wrong directory [ In reply to ]
Hello,
Would it be possible that your issue is related to the target of the
/usr/src/linux symlink?

If I remember correctly, ivtv requires this symlink to point to your
running kernel. You should do

cd /usr/src
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.6.12yourversion linux

and that way all your builds of ivtv and other software will use the
running kernel headers.

Jose Luis Cordova

Ben Holt
<beanjammin@gmail
.com> To
Sent by: ivtv-users@ivtvdriver.org
ivtv-users-bounce cc
s@ivtvdriver.org
No Phone Info Subject
Available [ivtv-users] M179 static output
resolved + 0.4.0 install to wrong
directory
10/13/2005 02:58
PM

Please respond to
User discussion
about IVTV
<ivtv-users@ivtvd
river.org>

[...]

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb?

M179 static output resolved + 0.4.0 install to wrong directory [ In reply to ]
On 10/14/05, Ben Holt <beanjammin@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1st: 0.4.0 installed to wrong directory
>
> I run debian unstable/sid with the stock 2.6.12-1-686 kernel as such
> ivtv should be installed to /lib/modules/2.6.12-1-686/ivtv however
> make install installed ivtv to /lib/modules/2.6.12/ivtv. Figuring out
> why my old 0.2.0 version of ivtv kept loading took a while ;-).
> Copying the files from /lib/modules/2.6.12/ivtv to
> /lib/modules/2.6.12-1-686/ivtv solved the problem. I had a quick look
> at the driver/Makefile2.6 and didn't see an obvious reason why it
> installed the modules to the wrong directory, but I know next to
> nothing about Makefile syntax. uname -r returns the proper
> 2.6.12-1-686. Thinking back I recall this happening on at least one
> other occassion with a 0.2.0 version.

I believe it's a problem with the debian kernel-headers package. It
didn't happen when I was using sarge 2.6.8 kernel, but started
appearing when I upgraded th kernel a while ago.

I don't really know what's causing it, my 'fix' might be completely
the wrong way to go about it, but this is what I found, and it worked
for me.

The file /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12-1-686/Makefile is a symlink to
/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12/Makefile (ie: the extraversion stuff is
removed)

Firstly, remove the symlink, and copy the
/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12/Makefile to
/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12-1-686/Makefile (so you can modify it
and not break any other kernel versions you may have).

Edit /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12-1-686/Makefile, and change the
EXTRAVERSION = line to actually include your extra version (eg:
EXTRAVERSION = -1-686)

To me, this seems the cleanest way to fix the problem, but I'm no
kernel developer.

btw, there are debian source packages for ivtv, which IMHO is a much
cleaner way of going about building (although you'll still run into
this problem)
See http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Debian

Cheers,

Ross
M179 static output resolved + 0.4.0 install to wrong directory [ In reply to ]
On 13/10/05, Ross <rwillman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really know what's causing it, my 'fix' might be completely
> the wrong way to go about it, but this is what I found, and it worked
> for me.
>
> The file /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12-1-686/Makefile is a symlink to
> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12/Makefile (ie: the extraversion stuff is
> removed)
>
> Firstly, remove the symlink, and copy the
> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12/Makefile to
> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12-1-686/Makefile (so you can modify it
> and not break any other kernel versions you may have).
>
> Edit /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.12-1-686/Makefile, and change the
> EXTRAVERSION = line to actually include your extra version (eg:
> EXTRAVERSION = -1-686)
>
> To me, this seems the cleanest way to fix the problem, but I'm no
> kernel developer.

Thanks for the suggested fix, I'll have to try it out.

> btw, there are debian source packages for ivtv, which IMHO is a much
> cleaner way of going about building (although you'll still run into
> this problem)
> See http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Debian

Wow, .deb for ivtv _and_ the firmware. Thanks for the link!

- Ben

--
A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb?