Mailing List Archive

Audio-Out Problem PVR350
Audio-Out Problem PVR350 [ In reply to ]
> I have a strange problem with a PVR-350:
> When I plug the audio-out from the PVR-350 in e.g. a headset, I get the
> audio of some strange TV- or Radio-channel.

You have to set the card to passthru mode I think to get audio out of
this port, or be sending data to /dev/video16. See ivtvctl
--passthrough

> When I tune the card to another channel ... The audio stays the same
> (also I can watch and hear the tuned channel).

What do you mean by this? If you plug the cable int othe TV directly
that it works? You can watch and hear the tuned channel where?

> When I push a mpeg2 video to the pvr-output, I get the correct
> video+audio on my TV - but the Audio via Audio-off stays the same
> strange channel ...

Not sure what you mean here.. If the video is going out through the
pvr-350, and you hear the audio, then you must have the audio out
plugged either directly into your TV or into your soundcard mic port
then out from there into your TV... so the audio out must be working.
Audio-Out Problem PVR350 [ In reply to ]

Hi,

Adam Forsyth schrieb:
>>I have a strange problem with a PVR-350:
>>When I plug the audio-out from the PVR-350 in e.g. a headset, I get the
>>audio of some strange TV- or Radio-channel.
>

> You have to set the card to passthru mode I think to get audio out of
> this port, or be sending data to /dev/video16. See ivtvctl
> --passthrough
>

>>When I tune the card to another channel ... The audio stays the same
>>(also I can watch and hear the tuned channel).
>

> What do you mean by this? If you plug the cable int othe TV directly
> that it works? You can watch and hear the tuned channel where?
>

>>When I push a mpeg2 video to the pvr-output, I get the correct
>>video+audio on my TV - but the Audio via Audio-off stays the same
>>strange channel ...
>

> Not sure what you mean here.. If the video is going out through the
> pvr-350, and you hear the audio, then you must have the audio out
> plugged either directly into your TV or into your soundcard mic port
> then out from there into your TV... so the audio out must be working.

Maybe I have been inexact.
The PVR350 has a cable AV-Out <-> SCART with a seperate Audio-cable
attached to.
I get different Audio-Out on the SCART an the seperate Audio-cable. Why?

When I send a video to /dev/video16 / watch one with MythTV I get Video
and Audio via the SCART-out on my TV. The seperate Audio-cable send
another audio-signal - one which I dont know how to change (I haven't
tuned the radio so far - but can I use Radio-Tuner and TV-Tuner together?)

The cable looks like:

card cable
|PVR| ===-----|SCART [Sends correct Audio+Video]
|------|Audio [Sends strange Audio]

Two Cables combining in one input to the PVR.

English is not my native language and I do apologize for any mistakes or
inexact statements.

Thanks

Sebastian Nerz

- --
"Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins
because he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so
on, whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water
having a good time. But conversely the dolphins believed themselves
to be more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons."
(Douglas Adams)
Audio-Out Problem PVR350 [ In reply to ]
I may be misunderstanding you again, but I'll give it a shot.

> Maybe I have been inexact.
> The PVR350 has a cable AV-Out <-> SCART with a seperate Audio-cable
> attached to.
> I get different Audio-Out on the SCART an the seperate Audio-cable. Why?
>
> When I send a video to /dev/video16 / watch one with MythTV I get Video
> and Audio via the SCART-out on my TV. The seperate Audio-cable send
> another audio-signal - one which I dont know how to change (I haven't
> tuned the radio so far - but can I use Radio-Tuner and TV-Tuner together?)
>
> The cable looks like:
>
> card cable
> |PVR| ===-----|SCART [Sends correct Audio+Video]
> |------|Audio [Sends strange Audio]
>
> Two Cables combining in one input to the PVR.

If I look at this with a fixed width font, if makes it look one way,
and variable width, another, so I can't really interpret this for sure
but I'll try.

OK. The output cable of the pvr-350 has four connectors: black 4-pin
s-video, yellow composite videoout, red and white (right and left)
audio out. Both audio cables should be plugged into the SCART adapter
so you have stereo sound. If you're listening to one and have the
other plugged into the TV, they should be mostly the same thing, just
the left and right parts of the stereo signal.

So what I don't understand is what cable you're plugging into your
headphones... The pvr-350 also has an audio line-in port, but no other
audio output. Plugging your headphones into that would certainly give
a strange signal.

If what you're saying is you have a splitter at the end of the output
cables from the pvr-350 before the SCART adapter, so that you can have
the audio go to headphones too, then I don't know how you could
possibly get two different signals.

> English is not my native language and I do apologize for any mistakes or
> inexact statements.

If I misunderstood you and you want to, you can write in german and
I'll make my girlfriend (native german speaker) translate.
Audio-Out Problem PVR350 [ In reply to ]

Hi,

Adam Forsyth schrieb:
> I may be misunderstanding you again, but I'll give it a shot.

I think I understood what causes this misunderstandings:
I have a german-version PVR350.

> If I look at this with a fixed width font, if makes it look one way,
> and variable width, another, so I can't really interpret this for sure
> but I'll try.

Well, I can't give a better picture.
Image a cable: PVR-Side: 9-pin
Other Side: Two connectors. One SCART and one Audio.

> OK. The output cable of the pvr-350 has four connectors: black 4-pin
> s-video, yellow composite videoout, red and white (right and left)
> audio out. Both audio cables should be plugged into the SCART adapter
> so you have stereo sound. If you're listening to one and have the
> other plugged into the TV, they should be mostly the same thing, just
> the left and right parts of the stereo signal.
>
> So what I don't understand is what cable you're plugging into your
> headphones... The pvr-350 also has an audio line-in port, but no other
> audio output. Plugging your headphones into that would certainly give
> a strange signal.

It has a audio-Line-In-Port. Yes
2 Antenna connectors ( FM, TV)
1 4-pin SVHS/VHS Connector
1 9-pin VID/AUD-Connector.
To this 9-pin belongs a cable: 9pin < splitter - scart-cable + audio-cable
(SCART: Some kind of connector for both video and audio, input and
output may be on different pins).

Those 2 Audio-Out (SCART, seperate Audio-Cable belonging to
9-pin-connector) play different sounds.

> If what you're saying is you have a splitter at the end of the output
> cables from the pvr-350 before the SCART adapter, so that you can have
> the audio go to headphones too, then I don't know how you could
> possibly get two different signals.

That would be even stranger, yes.

>>English is not my native language and I do apologize for any mistakes or
>>inexact statements.
>

> If I misunderstood you and you want to, you can write in german and
> I'll make my girlfriend (native german speaker) translate.

I dont know how many readers of this list are able to understand german,
so I dont know if it would be fair, but nevertheless:
Die PVR-350 hat folgende Eing?nge: TV-Antenne, Radio-Antenne, Line-In,
Video (SVHS)
Kombinierte Ein- und Ausg?nge: 9-Pin
An diesen 9-Pin-Eingang kommt ein Kabel dass in 2 seperate Kabel
gesplittet wird: Ein Audio-Kabel (um den Audioausgang der PVR an den
Audio-Eingang der Soundkarte anzuschlie?en) und ein Scart-Adapter.
Auf dem seperaten Audio-Ausgang und dem Scart-Adapter kommen
unterschiedlichen Audio-Signale an.
Das Audio-Signal auf dem seperaten Ausgang h?rt sich wie eine TV-Sendung
an - sie bleibt aber unabh?ngig von dem eingestellten Sender identisch.
Die Audio+Video Ausgabe auf dem Scart-Adapter ist korrekt (egal ob
Fernsehen oder MPEG2-Streaming).
Danke f?rs ?bersetzen :-)

Thanks

Sebastian Nerz

- --
Audio-Out Problem PVR350 [ In reply to ]
> I think I understood what causes this misunderstandings:
> I have a german-version PVR350.
>
> > If I look at this with a fixed width font, if makes it look one way,
> > and variable width, another, so I can't really interpret this for sure
> > but I'll try.
>
> Well, I can't give a better picture.
> Image a cable: PVR-Side: 9-pin
> Other Side: Two connectors. One SCART and one Audio.

Gotcha.

(snip)

> To this 9-pin belongs a cable: 9pin < splitter - scart-cable + audio-cable
> (SCART: Some kind of connector for both video and audio, input and
> output may be on different pins).
>
> Those 2 Audio-Out (SCART, seperate Audio-Cable belonging to
> 9-pin-connector) play different sounds.

OK! I understand. If I understood the German hauppauge site correctly,
it should be the same audio coming out of the SCART connector. I don't
know why it's different. I had no idea there were different cables; I
guess most places they are the same as the one I'm used to but not
everywhere.

I'd say post this to the devel list (and make it clear it has to do
with the german version with the 9-pin -> scart/audio cable).
Audio-Out Problem PVR350 [ In reply to ]