Mailing List Archive

we have drivers for adaptec videoh usb media center!
Hi there,

Dr John Gow (from UK) and me put together drivers and
user-space capture applications allowing you to use
Adaptec VideOh USB 2 Mediacenter Edition and about any
other compatible Adaptec USB capture devices. The
drivers are in alpha but they work _VERY_ well and,
btw, they work for both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels
(e.g. as i'm writing this email, i am running
2.6.13.4! 64-bit).

The drivers are very easy to install, then you have a
control application (avcctrl) to load the firmware and
set-up the input chanell, capture quality, tv
standard, etc

We also have a capture application (avcap) allowing
you to do realtime capture with ANY viewer (I am using
Xine, but you can use MPlayer, or whatever MPEG-2
player you like). Avcap allows you to pause recording
while the viewer is still playing! (to skip adds, etc)

The latency of the capture itself is under 0.5% CPU
usage (on a ordinary machine) and of course, the
quality is outstanding:

MPEG-2, 720x480, 4:3, 29.970FPS for NTSC (or PAL, of
course) with dvdpcm sound!

the mpeg stream is so easy to use that you could
capture by:

cat /dev/avcap00 > mymovie.mpg

we also offer free support for everyone (including how
to turn the captured mpeg(s) to dvd, in no time, with
3 or 4 command lines)

Please note that Adaptec doesn't currently provide
_ANY_ 64-bit drivers for this card (by far the best in
its class) so, if you wanna do real 64-bit computing,
our driver is the only way to get this card working...
Also, unlike the windows stuff (provided by the
manufacturers) our architecture doesn't require
reloading the firmware each time you record something,
we also ofer choice (drivers literally work for any
2.6.x supported kernel, 32-bit & 64-bit) and we don't
tide you to a viewer or another (you can use any
viewer allowing you mpeg srteams from stdin! And, of
course, in case of dual-head configurations, both
view-ing and record-ing work fine on any display
(windvr doesn't allow you to record on secondary
display?!?) The very same process (on the very same
hardware) takes 35% CPU, while ours takes 0.5% CPU
(from command line) or 8-10% CPU assisted with GUI
(Xine). Drivers passed several weeks of stress-testing
(they are clean, don't hung your system, don't leack
memory, etc)

PS
Dr John Gow (who does the kernel space) is reacheable
at:
j.a.gow@furrybubble.co.uk

I (Dr Dan Marinescu) am reacheable at this email. We'd
be very happy to hear from you. IvTv.com is also
welcome to publish the driver (if they want to extend
their hardware supported device list). John is in UK,
I am in Sillicon Valley.

Best Regards,
Dan Marinescu -- Scotts Valley, CA

Yahoo! Music Unlimited