bet? I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks...
Al
hardware suggestions? [ In reply to ]
I've only heard of problems with VIA chipsets.

hardware suggestions? [ In reply to ]
On Oct 10, 2005, at 9:55 PM, Adam Forsyth wrote:

> I've only heard of problems with VIA chipsets.

And mostly older ones, but I and many others still avoid them.

> On 10/10/05, Allan McIntosh <amcintosh@atreus-systems.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I am using an pvr-250 with AGP GeForce FX5200 for TV-Out. I have
>> been having a hard time maintaining stability. Mythtv often crashes.
>> I am considering upgrading my Athlon 1.4G/A7A266 motherboard it's
>> old.

Stick with the GeForce cards for output. The 5200 is nice because
its fanless. I am surprised your having crashes with your existing
board. xvmc support in Myth is nice as well.

>> Are Via chipsets the only boards to avoid for use with ivtv? This
>> computer is going to be used solely as a PVR so I am looking for
>> something inexpensive.
>>
>> I am thinking an A7N, an NForce board or something may be the safest
>> bet? I would appreciate suggestions.

I like the nForce2 boards and run one now. It can't quite handle
scaling my 1080i captures down to 720p for playback without
stuttering, though, so I'm upgrading out. It handles my PVR cards
and playing back their content just fine.

Pay very close attention to the specs of any motherboard. I was
expecting SPDIF out on my Chaintech nForce2 board, but it actually
just had a bare solder points, and no one sells a bracket to solder
on there.

Keith C
hardware suggestions? [ In reply to ]
>>> I am using an pvr-250 with AGP GeForce FX5200 for TV-Out. I have
>>> been having a hard time maintaining stability. Mythtv often crashes.
>>> I am considering upgrading my Athlon 1.4G/A7A266 motherboard it's old.
>>>

> Stick with the GeForce cards for output. The 5200 is nice because
> its fanless. I am surprised your having crashes with your existing
> board. xvmc support in Myth is nice as well.

I am seeing the "Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ 7**"

Thanks.