Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
...juerg
PVR-150MCE: TV and radio in parallel? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 10 October 2005 21:27, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just managed to get my PVR-150MCE going with 0.4.0 (excellent work
> btw!). Both watching TV and listening to radio is working just fine.
> Now I'm wondering if it's possible to listen to the radio while
> recording TV?
>
> When I tried it the recorded video turned into a static green the
> moment I tuned to a radio frequency (using ivtv-radio). I can't figure
> out if this is a SW issue or a HW limitation.
>
> Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

No. It's one or the other. It's a HW limitation.

Hans
PVR-150MCE: TV and radio in parallel? [ In reply to ]
Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 21:27, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just managed to get my PVR-150MCE going with 0.4.0 (excellent work
>> btw!). Both watching TV and listening to radio is working just fine.
>> Now I'm wondering if it's possible to listen to the radio while
>> recording TV?
>>
>> When I tried it the recorded video turned into a static green the
>> moment I tuned to a radio frequency (using ivtv-radio). I can't figure
>> out if this is a SW issue or a HW limitation.
>>
>> Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
>>

> No. It's one or the other. It's a HW limitation.
>
> Hans

Oh, wow. How about with the PVR-500? Can you record on one tuner and
listen to FM on the other? Does it matter which tuner is used for
which? Is MythTV aware of the limitation, or can it be made aware?

I have not got my PVR-500 system working yet, so some of these question
may seem silly. I just want to know in advance to that I don't ruin a
recording by listening to the radio.

--

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products. Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
PVR-150MCE: TV and radio in parallel? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 10 October 2005 21:50, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On Monday 10 October 2005 21:27, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just managed to get my PVR-150MCE going with 0.4.0 (excellent work
> >> btw!). Both watching TV and listening to radio is working just fine.
> >> Now I'm wondering if it's possible to listen to the radio while
> >> recording TV?
> >>
> >> When I tried it the recorded video turned into a static green the
> >> moment I tuned to a radio frequency (using ivtv-radio). I can't figure
> >> out if this is a SW issue or a HW limitation.
> >>
> >> Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > No. It's one or the other. It's a HW limitation.
> >
> > Hans

> Oh, wow. How about with the PVR-500? Can you record on one tuner and
> listen to FM on the other?

Yes.

> Does it matter which tuner is used for
> which?

Yes: only the first tuner is connected to the radio. The ivtv driver disables
radio for the second tuner so you don't accidentally try radio for that
tuner.

Hans
PVR-150MCE: TV and radio in parallel? [ In reply to ]
Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 21:50, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>
>> Hans Verkuil wrote:

>>> No. It's one or the other. It's a HW limitation.
>>>
>>> Hans

>> Oh, wow. How about with the PVR-500? Can you record on one tuner and
>> listen to FM on the other?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> Does it matter which tuner is used for
>> which?
>>

> Yes: only the first tuner is connected to the radio. The ivtv driver disables
> radio for the second tuner so you don't accidentally try radio for that
> tuner.
>
> Hans

In light of this it seems that for a PVR-500 system it would be wise to
make MythTV recordings default to the second tuner. Using the first
tuner only for watching live TV or recording conflicting time slots
would leave the first tuner always ready for listening to FM radio.

Can this be done? Is it already done this way in MythTV? (Again, I'm
asking because I haven't yet got my system working.)

PVR-150MCE: TV and radio in parallel? [ In reply to ]

> In light of this it seems that for a PVR-500 system it would be
> wise to make MythTV recordings default to the second tuner. Using
> the first tuner only for watching live TV or recording conflicting
> time slots would leave the first tuner always ready for listening
> to FM radio.
>
> Can this be done? Is it already done this way in MythTV? (Again,
> I'm asking because I haven't yet got my system working.)

Yes, you can set the priority of each tuner to make it use the second
tuner before the first tuner. Or, you can have them set to the exact
same priority, but add the second tuner to setup before the first
tuner - this gives it a lower id and it will be picked first.
Priority is the best and easiest way to go, though.

Keith C