I've just noticed that v4l-utils conflicts with ivtv-utils in Debian
(with no attempt to coordinate with me :^() and I'm trying to decide if
it is worth uploading an updated ivtv-utils which drops the tools which
overlap or if I should request that ivtv-utils is removed from Debian.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Start the day with a smile. After that you can be your nasty old self again.
Re: ivtv-utils still useful or is transition to v4l-utils complete? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 09:24:56 Ian Campbell wrote:
> Are the ivtv-utils still maintained and/or useful or did everything
> worthwhile make it into v4l-utils already?
>
> I've just noticed that v4l-utils conflicts with ivtv-utils in Debian
> (with no attempt to coordinate with me :^() and I'm trying to decide if
> it is worth uploading an updated ivtv-utils which drops the tools which
> overlap or if I should request that ivtv-utils is removed from Debian.
>
> Ian.

In my opinion ivtv-utils can be removed from Debian. The duplicate utilities
should definitely be removed from the ivtv repository as well. The only
remaining utility that I think has some merit is ivtv-radio. All the others
are more for debugging/testing/developing.

What do you think, Andy?

Regards,

Hans

Re: ivtv-utils still useful or is transition to v4l-utils complete? [ In reply to ]
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 09:24:56 Ian Campbell wrote:
>> Are the ivtv-utils still maintained and/or useful or did everything
>> worthwhile make it into v4l-utils already?
>>
>> I've just noticed that v4l-utils conflicts with ivtv-utils in Debian
>> (with no attempt to coordinate with me :^() and I'm trying to decide
>if
>> it is worth uploading an updated ivtv-utils which drops the tools
>which
>> overlap or if I should request that ivtv-utils is removed from
>Debian.
>>
>> Ian.
>>

>In my opinion ivtv-utils can be removed from Debian. The duplicate
>utilities
>should definitely be removed from the ivtv repository as well. The only
>remaining utility that I think has some merit is ivtv-radio. All the
>others
>are more for debugging/testing/developing.
>
>What do you think, Andy?
>
>Regards,
>
> Hans

Hans,

Ivtv-utils does need some attention, to at least remove any duplicate tools.

I only consider ivtv-radio and ivtv-tune useful for the common user. If v4l2-ctl had channel tables, then ivtv-tune could go away.

Regards,
Andy

Re: ivtv-utils still useful or is transition to v4l-utils complete? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 06:45 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 09:24:56 Ian Campbell wrote:
> >> Are the ivtv-utils still maintained and/or useful or did everything
> >> worthwhile make it into v4l-utils already?
> >>
> >> I've just noticed that v4l-utils conflicts with ivtv-utils in Debian
> >> (with no attempt to coordinate with me :^() and I'm trying to decide
> >if
> >> it is worth uploading an updated ivtv-utils which drops the tools
> >which
> >> overlap or if I should request that ivtv-utils is removed from
> >Debian.
> >>
> >> Ian.
> >>

> >In my opinion ivtv-utils can be removed from Debian. The duplicate
> >utilities
> >should definitely be removed from the ivtv repository as well. The only
> >remaining utility that I think has some merit is ivtv-radio. All the
> >others
> >are more for debugging/testing/developing.
> >
> >What do you think, Andy?
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> > Hans

> Hans,
>
> Ivtv-utils does need some attention, to at least remove any duplicate tools.

I found the duplicates were limited to v4l2-ctl and ivtv-ctl at the
moment. FWIW applied the attached to the Debian package for the time
being (and added a dependency on v4l-utils).

> I only consider ivtv-radio and ivtv-tune useful for the common user.
> If v4l2-ctl had channel tables, then ivtv-tune could go away.

With the above mentioned patch applied the ivtv-utils .deb now contains:

/usr/bin/ivtv-mpegindex
/usr/bin/cx25840ctl
/usr/bin/ivtvplay
/usr/bin/ivtvfwextract
/usr/bin/ptune-ui
/usr/bin/ivtv-tune
/usr/bin/ivtv-radio
/usr/bin/ptune

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

BOFH excuse #112:

The monitor is plugged into the serial port
Re: ivtv-utils still useful or is transition to v4l-utils complete? [ In reply to ]
Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 06:45 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
>> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>everything

>Debian
>decide
>> >if
>> >which
>> >Debian.

>> >In my opinion ivtv-utils can be removed from Debian. The duplicate
>> >utilities
>> >should definitely be removed from the ivtv repository as well. The
>only
>> >remaining utility that I think has some merit is ivtv-radio. All the
>> >others
>> >are more for debugging/testing/developing.
>> >
>> >What do you think, Andy?
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> > Hans

>> Hans,
>>
>> Ivtv-utils does need some attention, to at least remove any duplicate
>tools.
>
>I found the duplicates were limited to v4l2-ctl and ivtv-ctl at the
>moment. FWIW applied the attached to the Debian package for the time
>being (and added a dependency on v4l-utils).
>
>> I only consider ivtv-radio and ivtv-tune useful for the common user.
>> If v4l2-ctl had channel tables, then ivtv-tune could go away.
>
>With the above mentioned patch applied the ivtv-utils .deb now
>contains:
>
>/usr/bin/ivtv-mpegindex
>/usr/bin/cx25840ctl
>/usr/bin/ivtvplay
>/usr/bin/ivtvfwextract
>/usr/bin/ptune-ui
>/usr/bin/ivtv-tune
>/usr/bin/ivtv-radio
>/usr/bin/ptune
>
>Ian.
>
>--
>Ian Campbell
>
>BOFH excuse #112:
>
>The monitor is plugged into the serial port

I'm going to be neglecting ivtv stuff for the next week or two: family stuff that needs prompt attention. Please send a reminder to me or the list in a few weeks if nothing has happened on my end.

Regards,
Andy

Re: ivtv-utils still useful or is transition to v4l-utils complete? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 10:46 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> >everything

> >Debian
> >decide

> >only

[...]
> >> Hans,
> >>
> >> Ivtv-utils does need some attention, to at least remove any duplicate
> >tools.
> >
> >I found the duplicates were limited to v4l2-ctl and ivtv-ctl at the
> >moment. FWIW applied the attached to the Debian package for the time
> >being (and added a dependency on v4l-utils).
> >
> >> I only consider ivtv-radio and ivtv-tune useful for the common user.
> >> If v4l2-ctl had channel tables, then ivtv-tune could go away.
> >
> >With the above mentioned patch applied the ivtv-utils .deb now
> >contains:
> >
> >/usr/bin/ivtv-mpegindex
> >/usr/bin/cx25840ctl
> >/usr/bin/ivtvplay
> >/usr/bin/ivtvfwextract
> >/usr/bin/ptune-ui
> >/usr/bin/ivtv-tune
> >/usr/bin/ivtv-radio
> >/usr/bin/ptune
> >
> >Ian.
[...]
> I'm going to be neglecting ivtv stuff for the next week or two: family
> stuff that needs prompt attention. Please send a reminder to me or
> the list in a few weeks if nothing has happened on my end.

I think it's been a few weeks, so as requested... ping?

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

I am currently transitioning to a new OpenPGP key, please see:
http://www.hellion.org.uk/key-transition-2011-04-27-2F6BCD59-to-79074FA8.txt

She ran the gamut of emotions from 'A' to 'B'.
-- Dorothy Parker, on a Kate Hepburn performance