ivtv: S_STD ioctl switches to tuner audio, for a GPIO mux, regardless of input selection
Hans,

I think ivtv's new handling of S_STD for a GPIO mux has a bug. If the
user has a GPIO mux set to Composite 1/Audio Line-in 1, then a
VIDIOC_S_STD call will reroute the GPIO audio mux back to the tuner.

Please take a look.

Regards,
Andy

Re: ivtv: S_STD ioctl switches to tuner audio, for a GPIO mux, regardless of input selection [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 21 February 2009 16:48:00 Andy Walls wrote:
> Hans,
>
> I think ivtv's new handling of S_STD for a GPIO mux has a bug. If the
> user has a GPIO mux set to Composite 1/Audio Line-in 1, then a
> VIDIOC_S_STD call will reroute the GPIO audio mux back to the tuner.

Hmm, yes this is a very, very old bug. It was there from the very beginning.
The idea is that when you are in radio mode, then a call to S_STD should
switch you back to video mode. So there should be some additional
administration here to keep track of the video input and set it back to
that, rather than just choosing the tuner input.

Of course, abusing S_STD for something like this is dubious as well, but it
is rather low on the long list of things we can improve.

To be honest, I don't feel terribly compelled to go in and fix it. I'm a bit
too busy lately :-)

Regards,

Hans

Re: ivtv: S_STD ioctl switches to tuner audio, for a GPIO mux, regardless of input selection [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 17:40 +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 16:48:00 Andy Walls wrote:
> > Hans,
> >
> > I think ivtv's new handling of S_STD for a GPIO mux has a bug. If the
> > user has a GPIO mux set to Composite 1/Audio Line-in 1, then a
> > VIDIOC_S_STD call will reroute the GPIO audio mux back to the tuner.
>
> Hmm, yes this is a very, very old bug. It was there from the very beginning.
> The idea is that when you are in radio mode, then a call to S_STD should
> switch you back to video mode.

Yeah. I got that.

I noted the V4L2 spec said switching inpuits could have side effect, but
not seting the standard once one had switched the input. The radio mode
abuse of S_STD has a disallowed side effect. :(

Quite a Catch 22 if you have a card with a PAL tuner, with GPIO mux
control, and want to switch the standard to NTSC on line in 1. (My
exact situation with the Conexant PAL/SECAM card.)

I just wanted to make sure this wasn't anything new.

> So there should be some additional
> administration here to keep track of the video input and set it back to
> that, rather than just choosing the tuner input.
>
> Of course, abusing S_STD for something like this is dubious as well, but it
> is rather low on the long list of things we can improve.
>
> To be honest, I don't feel terribly compelled to go in and fix it. I'm a bit
> too busy lately :-)

Not surprisingly, I've added a FIXME to the cx18 driver code and I am
moving on as well. :)

There is only one well supported card under cx18 that has a GPIO mux
control and it's not widely available.

Regards,
Andy