moment but...

I noticed when I updated to the latest mainline 2 days ago that the AC3
options appeared, which is great, however it appeared that the CRC and
Emphasis options disappeared? Are my eyes playing tricks or did they get
removed?

Also, any further insight in to when AC3 support might work? I haven't
tried selecting it yet...

-Jeff
Re: cx18: Changes in audio options? AC3 support? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 15:07 -0500, Jeff Campbell wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> My apologies for not having exact details, as I'm working between two
> different systems and the one with the newest driver isn't accessible
> at the moment but...
>
> I noticed when I updated to the latest mainline 2 days ago that the
> AC3 options appeared, which is great,

I found it never worked (in 2 or 3 trials...). I should really disable
it and wait for when/if a firmware update is ever available.

Sliced VBI as a separate stream, for NTSC at least, should be working
without a hitch now. Although there is no interlock for the driver
trying to stuff ivt0 private streams into a TS as if it were a PS, so
don't turn on sliced VBI insertion into the MPEG stream unless you're
using a PS.

> however it appeared that the CRC and Emphasis options disappeared?
> Are my eyes playing tricks or did they get removed?

I didn't remove them. I don't see them showing up though either in
v42l-ctl -L . However, there is code in cx2341x.c for setting and
getting the controls, and v4l2-ctl --log-status logs their state. Does
ivtv show them? I looked at the 'hg log -vp cx2341x.c ' output and
could see where the queries were ever removed in recent history.

Add it to the todo list. *sigh*

> Also, any further insight in to when AC3 support might work?

No.

> I haven't tried selecting it yet...

There's no harm in trying. I just recall it not working for my very few
trials.

Re: cx18: Changes in audio options? AC3 support? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 22:16 -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 15:07 -0500, Jeff Campbell wrote:
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > My apologies for not having exact details, as I'm working between two
> > different systems and the one with the newest driver isn't accessible
> > at the moment but...
> >
> > I noticed when I updated to the latest mainline 2 days ago that the
> > AC3 options appeared, which is great,
>
> I found it never worked (in 2 or 3 trials...). I should really disable
> it and wait for when/if a firmware update is ever available.
>
> Sliced VBI as a separate stream, for NTSC at least, should be working
> without a hitch now. Although there is no interlock for the driver
> trying to stuff ivt0 private streams into a TS as if it were a PS, so
> don't turn on sliced VBI insertion into the MPEG stream unless you're
> using a PS.
>

> > however it appeared that the CRC and Emphasis options disappeared?
> > Are my eyes playing tricks or did they get removed?
>
> I didn't remove them. I don't see them showing up though either in
> v42l-ctl -L . However, there is code in cx2341x.c for setting and
> getting the controls, and v4l2-ctl --log-status logs their state. Does
> ivtv show them? I looked at the 'hg log -vp cx2341x.c ' output and
> could see where the queries were ever removed in recent history.

Correcting a typo: 'and I could *not* see where the queries were ever
removed'

-Andy