Mailing List Archive

Re: [ivtv-users] hvr-1600 update
On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 19:19 -0600, Mark Jenks wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Al McIntosh <al@allanmcintosh.com>
> wrote:
> Oh, wow! Okay, I was wondering what kind of testing or data
> would be
> helpful but sounds as though it's all covered. Impressive
> work Andy.
>
> Al

Al,

Don't thank me, thank Mike and Jeff for the reporting and debugging.
The "hard" part for me was building a spreadsheet to compute the correct
PLL parameter values - that was pretty mechanical.

> > Jeff Campbell and Mike Bradley have been doing extensive (!)
> > investigation and pointed out problem areas too me. Due to
> their
> > prompting and what they've found, I've got some fixes in
> progress this
> > weekend that should be good enough for the average user. It
> should make
> > SVideo and CVBS watchable with buffering.
> >
> > The problems are mostly audio and clock related. Maybe by
> Sunday night
> > I'll have something checked into my v4l-dvb repo.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andy
> >

> >> Al
>
> Hey Al!
>
> I was working on setting up a hvr-1600 today with svideo/audio
> capturing to mpeg for mythv from a SA4250HD. Everything went great
> except for the video skipping issue that I could not get rid of. I
> was very happy to find this thread and I am extremely glad to see that
> a fix might be right around the corner for this.
>
> I would of picked up a pvr-250, if they were easier to find, but I
> heard that this card would work. (it does, except for that one
> glitch).
>
> I am awaiting directions to try out your patch when it shows up. If
> you need me to run a test on it, it might take me a few days, but I
> can get it for you.

Mark and Al,

If you really want to test something, look in

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb

the two latest changes should give you something decent for SVideo and
CVBS. The first analog capture after modprobe will be goofy as always.
(Still working on that one...)

If you set the stream type to TS instead of the default PS, you may be
able to run with unbuffered playback Although you may want to set the
enc_mpg_bufsize=16 parameter, as the default of a 32 kB individual
buffer sizes may seem a little jumpy if played back unbuffered.

This might be the only changes I get done this weekend, due to holiday
plans and obligations.

Regards,
Andy

Re: [ivtv-users] hvr-1600 update [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 19:19 -0600, Mark Jenks wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Al McIntosh <al@allanmcintosh.com>
>> wrote:
>> Oh, wow! Okay, I was wondering what kind of testing or data
>> would be
>> helpful but sounds as though it's all covered. Impressive
>> work Andy.
>>
>> Al
>
> Al,
>
> Don't thank me, thank Mike and Jeff for the reporting and debugging.
> The "hard" part for me was building a spreadsheet to compute the correct
> PLL parameter values - that was pretty mechanical.
>
>> > Jeff Campbell and Mike Bradley have been doing extensive (!)
>> > investigation and pointed out problem areas too me. Due to
>> their
>> > prompting and what they've found, I've got some fixes in
>> progress this
>> > weekend that should be good enough for the average user. It
>> should make
>> > SVideo and CVBS watchable with buffering.
>> >
>> > The problems are mostly audio and clock related. Maybe by
>> Sunday night
>> > I'll have something checked into my v4l-dvb repo.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Andy

>> Hey Al!
>>
>> I was working on setting up a hvr-1600 today with svideo/audio
>> capturing to mpeg for mythv from a SA4250HD. Everything went great
>> except for the video skipping issue that I could not get rid of. I
>> was very happy to find this thread and I am extremely glad to see that
>> a fix might be right around the corner for this.
>>
>> I would of picked up a pvr-250, if they were easier to find, but I
>> heard that this card would work. (it does, except for that one
>> glitch).
>>
>> I am awaiting directions to try out your patch when it shows up. If
>> you need me to run a test on it, it might take me a few days, but I
>> can get it for you.
>
> Mark and Al,
>
> If you really want to test something, look in
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb
>
> the two latest changes should give you something decent for SVideo and
> CVBS. The first analog capture after modprobe will be goofy as always.
> (Still working on that one...)
>
> If you set the stream type to TS instead of the default PS, you may be
> able to run with unbuffered playback Although you may want to set the
> enc_mpg_bufsize=16 parameter, as the default of a 32 kB individual
> buffer sizes may seem a little jumpy if played back unbuffered.
>
> This might be the only changes I get done this weekend, due to holiday
> plans and obligations.
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>
>> FYI, it's running a M3N78 Pro motherboard, quadcore,4gb of ram w/ HDMI
>> video & audio out.
>>
>> -Mark

Hi Andy,

I have pulled your changes and installed the modules. The playback
pausing issue is now gone. As you noted there is an issue with the
first capture. I get no audio until I stop the capture and start
again. To work around this, I put a capture script in my rc.local to
"initialize" the cards.

Thanks again and have a great holiday!

Brandon