Mailing List Archive

cx18: Observations about TS and AV lock, also Q on input types tested
Hi Andy, Hans,

We're still hunting down the audio issues we raised a while back. While we
thought we had it beat, we have discovered through testing that over a
period of a few days we end up with audio drift (the audio appears to get
ahead of a the video slightly). Given this, we're still investigating
itwhich is why we haven't reported back.

We are also actively switching between different inputs (Tuner, SVideo,
Composite), as well as between NTSC and PAL input sources. We have no yet
successfully encoded a PAL signal from a PAL DVD player. Is there any known
issue with PAL mode? Does anyone have that working with the latest mainline
(1.0.3) driver?

A few other observations:

The tuner audio does not appear to drift, although I am checking that this
weekend (leaving it running for 48 hours straight).

Switching from NTSC to PAL format and back for the AV inputs appears to
result in an unusualble system and requires a reboot.

The transport stream of the tuner feed appears to work properly (no popping
audio or issues), whereas the TS of the AV inputs exhibits audio problems.
If we apply the changes we shared two weeks ago, the audio problem on the AV
inputs goes away but we eventually see the drift where the audio gets ahead
of the video.

Andy, out of curiosity, is your primary testing againt tuner input or do you
often use the AV inputs as well?

We are just at the beginning of digging through the data sheet on the
cx25840 to start to understand the different pathways and how the AV lock
differs between the tuner input and the other inputs and will share any
findings or questions.

I have a wide range of input types I can test against so if there is
anything you want me to try out and report back on, please let me know.

-Jeff
Re: cx18: Observations about TS and AV lock, also Q on input types tested [ In reply to ]
I stand corrected, the tuner input also suffers from drift.

I checked it around 26 hours of continuous use and there was a material
drift between the audio and the video, similar to what was seen on the AV
inputs. The audio is getting ahead of the video.

I sent the debug=3 log entries under a different thread, nothing too strange
appeared there.

Is AV_LOCK still enabled in the driver?

-Jeff