Mailing List Archive

[somewhat off-topic] Re: Trouble installing netfilter/iptables (long)
RE: [somewhat off-topic] Re: Trouble installing netfilter/iptables (long) [ In reply to ]
well, what i meant was there could be an option for probing the HW is that
is an option with the persons system, kinda like:
-Hey, Would you like me to probe your HW and look over the settings?
-(good if you have large HD and newer system, bad if no HD space and older
system)
-[Y,n]
or something like that.
I am moving this question to the kernel mailing list for the guys that are
saying "this is really for the kernel mailing list". I originally found
this email in this mailing list but might be a little weird for this one.
But i will ask my question to you guys, if you want to answer thats great,
if not then leave it upto the kernel doods.

Qustions:
1-does "make menuconfig" require X to be installed? I dont have X, i just
have RH 7.1 with kernel dev and kernel sources installed (atleast those were
the ONLY things i had selected during install).
2-if i untared/unpacked the kernel to the folder /root/newkern (here is
where i did the "gzip -cd linux 2.4.7...... |tar xvf -" command) is it ok to
delete the newkern folder and unpack nd then do the "make menuconfig"?
Thanks

Rob

Re: [somewhat off-topic] Re: Trouble installing netfilter/iptables (long) [ In reply to ]
1- "make menuconfig" doesn't require X, but ncurses libraries. Just try.

2- I would do :
# tar xvzf linux 2.4.7 -C /usr/src (make sure you don't have a folder called
"linux" in /usr/src; rename it in case)
# cd /usr/src
# mv linux/ linux-2.4.7
# ln -s linux-2.4.7/ linux
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make mrproper
# make menuconfig (configure your kernel)
# make dep; make clean; make bzlilo; make modules; make modules_install
(modify your /etc/lilo.conf if needed and issue the command "lilo")
# reboot