Mailing List Archive

RE: Trouble installing netfilter/iptables (long)
Of course I am a newbie,
Questions of installation as I am doing a kernel compilation now and
reading over previous emails posted to the list
In the following I missed a few things in this process, I think, ...

Not trying to complain or anything but cant the "make config" do just a
"little" bit of probing the HW??? there were like 300 questions in the
process of doing this. I am almost certain that I missed a few things
and said Y/N to a couple of things I shouldn't have.

> Next, go through the same cycle of installation you did with
> iptables-1.2.2
> originally:
>
> make pending-patches
> make patch-o-matic (not required, but has lots of neat stuff ;-)
> make
> make install

do you have to install/update iptables before compiling/installing
the kernel?

> In between the `make pending-patches' and `make' for iptables, cd to
> /usr/src/linux
> and run this cycle:
>
> make oldconfig/config/xconfig/menuconfig (whichever one you like)
> make clean
> make depend
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
i didnt run "make clean" nor "make modules_install", is that going to
cause an issue later on?

Rob, rwideman@austin.rr.com
RE: Trouble installing netfilter/iptables (long) [ In reply to ]
This is more for a Kernel mailing list...
but...
try "make menuconfig" this gives a more user friendly interface and fills up
with the default options at first. Even with only a little know how I soon
learnt how to use and configure this - and there are many kernel resources
to help out there (eg. http://www.linuxnewbie.org/ )
Cheers
Nigel