netlink, but one never arrives, no matter how much network traffic I
have.

Am I missing some vital piece of setup? When I run nfq_test, there
are two netfilter modules loaded. Should there be more? Do they need
to be configured somehow? Is this the expected behavior?

I have tested this both on my ubuntu install and on a friend's debian,
both machines exhibit the same behavior. Any help is certainly
appreciated.
Re: Netfilter_queue test program question [ In reply to ]
Andy Cristina írta:
> I've been attempting to play with netfilter_queue to see how effective
> a certain similarity hashing technique would work for identifying
> parts of documents being sent out over the network, but I haven't had
> much progress even getting the test program to work.
Just a few questions:

- Why do you want to do such things?
- How would you come over on the compressed files, MIME encodings?
- Are you attempting to stop some information thiefing?
> I can compile and link nfq_test.c fine, using both the old versions of
> libnfnetfiler and libnetfilter_queue available from ubuntu's apt, and
> by using the newest released versions compiled from source.
>
> However, in any case when I run the compiled nfq_test, the program
> seems to do nothing after setting the packet copy mode. So it seems
> to me as if it is perpetually waiting for a packet to be sent over the
> netlink, but one never arrives, no matter how much network traffic I
> have.
>
> Am I missing some vital piece of setup? When I run nfq_test, there
> are two netfilter modules loaded. Should there be more? Do they need
> to be configured somehow? Is this the expected behavior?
>
> I have tested this both on my ubuntu install and on a friend's debian,
> both machines exhibit the same behavior. Any help is certainly
> appreciated.

Swifty
Re: Netfilter_queue test program question [ In reply to ]

Re: Netfilter_queue test program question [ In reply to ]
> However, in any case when I run the compiled nfq_test, the program
> seems to do nothing after setting the packet copy mode. So it seems
> to me as if it is perpetually waiting for a packet to be sent over the
> netlink, but one never arrives, no matter how much network traffic I
> have.
>
> Am I missing some vital piece of setup? When I run nfq_test, there
> are two netfilter modules loaded. Should there be more? Do they need
> to be configured somehow? Is this the expected behavior?
>
> I have tested this both on my ubuntu install and on a friend's debian,
> both machines exhibit the same behavior. Any help is certainly
> appreciated.

It is amazing what a good night's sleep does to improve your ability
to read and comprehend. I was, of course, forgetting to setup an
iptable rule to queue packets, so now I can proceed.