Mailing List Archive

SNAT Delay
Hi,

I m using a simple NAT scenario. My Linux router has 2 interfaces
connected to 2 machines, M1 and M2.

M1 Linux NAT Router M2
[192.168.1.2]<----->[192.168.1.1][10.0.0.1]<----->[10.0.0.2]

Forwarding is enabled on the router. All the tables in iptables are
flushed. I have enabled continuous ping from M1 to M2. I get no response.

I execute the following iptables command:-

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 192.168.1.2 -j SNAT
--to-source 10.0.0.1

I am still unable to receive any instant ping response. The NAT
translations start happening after an unacceptable interval of time
after which I am able to receive response.

Is this normal? Is there a workaround so that NAT translations begin
instantly as and when a rule has been inserted?

Vikram