To rate my service or provide feedback, please visit the following URL:
http://www.supportteam.net/rate.php3

Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
Re: Another question [ In reply to ]
> is there a way to setup a rule/chain that would drop a syn and send a
reset
> packet back to the offending machine. and if so what would that look like.

From the man page....

REJECT
This is used to send back an error packet in response to the
matched packet: otherwise it is equivalent to DROP. This target is only
valid in the INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT chains, and user-defined chains which
are only called from those chains. Several options control the nature of
the
error packet returned:

--reject-with type
The type given can be icmp-net-unreachable,
icmp-host-unreachable, icmp-port-unreachable, icmp-proto-unreachable,
icmp-net-prohibitedor icmp-host-prohibited, which return the appropriate
ICMP error message (port-unreachable is the default). The option
echo-reply is also allowed; it can only be used for rules which specify
an ICMP ping packet, and generates a ping reply. Finally, the option
tcp-reset can be used on rules which only match the TCP protocol: this
causes a TCP RST packet to be sent back. This is mainly useful for
blocking ident probes which frequently occur when sending mail to broken
mail hosts (which won't accept your mail otherwise).

From this I deduce an example might look something like

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --syn -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

(and this is in the how-to as well - it just directs you to the man pages
the options)

Cheers
Nigel