downloading.
Rick
rlapp@erols.com
Re: Linux vs Linksys router decision? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Rick Lapp wrote:

> Will the 350Mhz / 64Mb Linux box running two 10/100 NICs be faster or
> more secure than the Linksys router? We typically run 3 to 5
> workstations with a fair amount of gaming and MP3 downloading.

It probably won't be visibly faster or slower. How secure it is depends on
your proficiency in generating an iptables rules set and in securing the
daemons that are exposed to the outside.

The main advantage will be the flexibility of using a general purpose
operating system as opposed to a single-purpose embedded device. This may
or may not be useful to you.

The main disadvantage will be in the setup. The linksys router that you
have probably has an easy-to-use web interface. Your linux machine
probably doesn't have such an interface. Also, people don't often reboot
linksys routers to install new kernels either :)

Scottie Shore <sshore@escape.ca>
"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize
a mistake when you make it again." -- F. P. Jones
RE: Linux vs Linksys router decision? [ In reply to ]
I can only address the SMC Barricade, a similar device. Firmware
upgrades are available, and sometimes those really improve the device
functionality. Check the website from time to time; you'll probably find
both upgrades and instructions on how to apply the firmware upgrade.
HTH.

Carl Friedberg
carl@comets.com

Re: Linux vs Linksys router decision? [ In reply to ]
Rick, buddy ole pal...if I had the money, I'd go with a seperate router and
firewall solution...

Linksys routers are nice...I've witnessed a few things that make me raise my
eyebrow concerning their combos, including the recent security issue with
them sending password cleartext over the wire
(http://hypoclear.cjb.net/hypo_linksys_advisory.txt)

Anyway...it's kinda like buying a stereo system. Generally, you'd want to
buy the components seperately. You get the best quality that way, compared
to buying that Pioneer rig at Wal-Mart that has the DVD/CD/AM-FM/Speakers
All-In-One package all built in...if you're a serious audiophile, you'd go
to a nice custom rig shop and do it the professional way, right?

In my opinion, buying "combo" routers/firewalls are the same way...

Here's an example. Since I happen to break into machines for a living at my
place of employment, I've witnessed tales of being able to send 2K byte
pings through a "combo" firewall/router when that router (supposedly) was
explicitly denying all ICMP traffic. Come to find out, we were able to set
off Black Ice, which happened to be running on a workstation behind that
"combo" firewall/router. If it had done its job, (OR, if it had been a nice
Cisco, supplemented with a nice firewall) those ICMP packets would've never
came through--hence, Ice would've never been set off...

My point? IF (and that's always a big IF) you have the dough to spare, and
you're as paranoid and silly as me, then buy a small Cisco (or comparable
router) and a small firewall, and do it that way.

Of course, money is almost always a concern, unless you're Bill Gates or the
late Sam Walton...=)

My $0.05...=P
--
/*