new kernel,
ppp-2.4.1 with this patch
http://www.shoshin.uwaterloo.ca/~mostrows/ppp-2.4.1-pppoe.patch2
pppoed-0.48b1-6

Is there anyone who runs different things and providers who has the same
problems? or is there a solution for this problem by now?

bye
Alex
Re: kernel lockup in 2.4.5-ac3 and 2.4.6-pre7 (netfilter ?) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 08:25:47PM +0200, Alex Kratochwilla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've the same problem as Jörn and Christian. The Kernel of my router (2.4.7)
> locks up when doing a NAT - FTP or HTTP connection to a host which is
> probably down (host unreachable) at that time. I tried it several times on
> Sunday with ftp.info-zip.org or www.info-zip.org respectivly. Each time the
> result was the same as described by Jörn " ...In interrupt handler - not
> syncing.", no matter if the client was running on a linux or windos machine.
>
> Remarkable is that we all connect with t-dsl. On my side I use a SuSE
> distribution, but I've replaced allmost everything concerning the
> ppp-connection:
>
> new kernel,
> ppp-2.4.1 with this patch
> http://www.shoshin.uwaterloo.ca/~mostrows/ppp-2.4.1-pppoe.patch2
> pppoed-0.48b1-6
>
> Is there anyone who runs different things and providers who has the same
> problems? or is there a solution for this problem by now?

I just experience a similar problem with multiple kernel panic. It
goes like this: ADSL connection, something wrong with the telco login
server and it won't accept connection. Since I use rp-pppoe, I can
fire up adsl-connect and watch the on-going connection, just before
receiving the "connection terminated" message, kernel panic. Apparently
ppp (2.4.1) triggered something that cause a kernel panic. Very bad.

I have tried 2.4.4 and 2.4.7, as long as the login server won't
accept connection, the panic will occur and everytime it will point
its finger at ppp (2.4.1). I won't bother to try 2.4.5 and 2.4.6 as
there are lots of network driver problems.

The kernel may have problem but the network drivers are most suspicious.
As I believe a user-space app (ppp, pppoe 3.0) should not trigger a
kernel panic, right? But what the heck, I am going back to ppp 2.3.x
anyway. This problem does not exist with kernel 2.2.19

--
Linux 2.4.7fw #2 Sun Jul 29 21:32:38 CST 2001 i586 unknown
Re: kernel lockup in 2.4.5-ac3 and 2.4.6-pre7 (netfilter ?) [ In reply to ]

> The kernel may have problem but the network drivers are most suspicious.
> As I believe a user-space app (ppp, pppoe 3.0) should not trigger a
> kernel panic, right? But what the heck, I am going back to ppp 2.3.x
> anyway. This problem does not exist with kernel 2.2.19

Hi,
Although I have the same problem with 2.4.5 and 2.4.6, there is no need to go back
to 2.2.19: 2.4.3 works fine (at least for me).

Diego.