Mailing List Archive

R: Looking for software
----- Original Message -----
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
To: Radel <netfilter@radel.yi.org>
Cc: 'NetFilter List' <netfilter@lists.samba.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Looking for software

Ok
First in my tcpdump I cannot find -X option.
Second I'm using debian and I use to update very often the software.
Third I think that a tcpdump version not included in the debian packaging
system will be only an alpha or beta version, so it is not strange if
someone is not using it yet.
Fourth I think you have eated bad yesterday.

Radel
Re: R: Looking for software [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 10:45:45AM +0200, Radel wrote:
> From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>

> First in my tcpdump I cannot find -X option.

Then you've got an old version.

> Second I'm using debian and I use to update very often the software.

Debian is quite a nice distribution and it's right (IMHO) to update
regulary.

> Third I think that a tcpdump version not included in the debian packaging
> system will be only an alpha or beta version, so it is not strange if
> someone is not using it yet.

Well, Debian unstable (aka sid) is up-to-date wrt tcpdump. However,
you're right: ISDN patche do some kind of guessing whether some
packet came from ISDN or not. It's not a bullet-proof concept. But -
who cares? You want to have feature X, so go for it. Those ISDN
patches might need some time to get "stable". But does the predicate
"stable" count?
<AD>
From my impression, kernel 2.4.x and Debian sid are a *very*
good combination of a high-quality kernel, 1st class software
with valuable functionality and a 1st class packet manager.
</AD>

However, if you don't loke to update to sid, then you might backport
tcpdump. To do that, fetch tcpdump[VERSION].dsc, .orig.tar.gz and
.patch.gz (same for libpcal) from your debian site, create a source
tree (dpkg-source -x tcpdump-XXXX.dsc), cd tcpdump-XXX,
dpkg-buildpackage. Then you've got an up-to-date tcpdump DEB package.

Btw.: this (new) tcpdump seems to have some ISDN patches included:

jbglaw@schaufenster:~/dddd$ find . -type f -exec grep -Hi isdn {} \;
./libpcap-0.6.2/CHANGES: (handles 2.4 ARPHRD_IEEE802_TR, handles ISDN devices better,
./libpcap-0.6.2/CHANGES:- Fix pcap-dlpi.c to work with isdn. Resulted from report by Flemming
./libpcap-0.6.2/pcap-linux.c: (strncmp("isdn", device, 4) == 0 ||
./libpcap-0.6.2/pcap-linux.c: * Unknown interface type (-1), or an ISDN
./libpcap-0.6.2/pcap-linux.c: * XXX - handle ISDN types here? We can't fall back on
./libpcap-0.6.2/pcap-linux.c: * value, meaning we'd map "isdnN" devices to DLT_RAW

> Fourth I think you have eated bad yesterday.

No, I've not. But many Q's can easily be answered by searching the
web. I don't like spending time with doing the standard job of asking
a search engine. If I ever had a question, I tried to do my homework
before asking others:-)

MfG, JBG