Mailing List Archive

Looking for software
I'm looking for a tcpdump like program, but capable of writing entire packets in boh hex and ASCII. It has to be capable of sniffing packets from an isdn line with syncppp (devices like /dev/ippp*). Another thing: I need a console program, not a GUI one.

Thanks. Radel
Re: Looking for software [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 10:23:44AM +0200, Radel wrote:
[.Please ensure that you press <ENTER> at lease all 72 characters]

> I'm looking for a tcpdump like program, but capable of writing
> entire packets in boh hex and ASCII. It has to be capable of
> sniffing packets from an isdn line with syncppp (devices like
> /dev/ippp*). Another thing: I need a console program, not a GUI one.

Please, get a recent copy of tcpdump and *read its manpage*:

[...]
-x Print each packet (minus its link level header) in
hex. The smaller of the entire packet or snaplen
bytes will be printed.

-X When printing hex, print ascii too. Thus if -x is
also set, the packet is printed in hex/ascii. This
is very handy for analysing new protocols. Even if
-x is not also set, some parts of some packets may
be printed in hex/ascii.
[...]

MfG, JBG