Advice on network config (unix - linux and windows - mac)
I would like to setup a linux box as gateway - firewall and NAT (maybe DHCP too) for a network of SUN workstations, windows (98, XP, 2000) PC's and macs.

I don't care about win and mac 's security but would like the SUN network to be as secure as possible. As I guess win can be easily compromised or in our case, untrusted
persons can have access to it so I thought of physically separating the unix network from the others by using 2 subnets (three network cards on the gateway). So having
two private networks, I can filter what goes from one to the other with the gateway's firewall (iptables in my case)

Is this the right way to do what I would like? Do you see any problem pointing out? Any recommandation would be welcome.

Thanks,
David Bourgeois
RE: Advice on network config (unix - linux and windows - mac) [ In reply to ]
INTERNET<--------------->FIREWALL<--------nated systems on private net
^
|_______ DMZ

Firewall with 3 nic cards. Setup with a iptables filtering firewall that
nats all outgoing requests from your private network. And
filter/forwards incoming traffic to your DMZ. All attempts to connect to
your firewall are dropped and and logged unless they are established
connections (returning nat) or are a part of the forwarded DMZ eg. www.

http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/howto/m-html/ipmasq-HOWTO-m.html

Ohh yea put those windows boxen on the net and you will be shot. I'm
tired of being probed by nimda and code red worms.

Advice on network config (unix - linux and windows - mac) [ In reply to ]
I would like to setup a linux box as gateway - firewall and NAT (maybe DHCP too) for a network of SUN workstations, windoze (98, XP, 2000) PC's and macs.

I don't care about win and macs but would want the SUN network to be as secure as possible. As I guess win can be easily compromised, I thought of physically
separating the unix network from the others by using three network cards on the gateway. So having two private networks, I can filter what goes from one to the other with
the gateway's firewall.

Is this the right way to do what I would like? Any recommandation would be welcome.

Thanks,
David Bourgeois
Re: Advice on network config (unix - linux and windows - mac) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, David Bourgeois wrote:

> I would like to setup a linux box as gateway - firewall and NAT (maybe
> DHCP too) for a network of SUN workstations, windows (98, XP, 2000) PC's
> and macs.
>
> I don't care about win and mac 's security but would like the SUN
> network to be as secure as possible. As I guess win can be easily
> compromised or in our case, untrusted persons can have access to it so I
> thought of physically separating the unix network from the others by
> using 2 subnets (three network cards on the gateway). So having two
> private networks, I can filter what goes from one to the other with the
> gateway's firewall (iptables in my case)
>
> Is this the right way to do what I would like? Do you see any problem
> pointing out? Any recommandation would be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> David Bourgeois

You should have security for the windows/mac on the firewall itself.
If you can, get a mail filter to remove some of the problems with security
in windows.

Your idea is sound, but don't forget to treat traffic coming from the
mac/win part as being traffic from the internet (and vice-vesa).

Also make sure that the physical network is distinct (eg 1 network card
for the sun network, 1 for internet, 1 for win/mac).