Mailing List Archive

-limit ??
RE: -limit ?? [ In reply to ]
well if you read the howto you should know - it does explain it - in fact if
I look at it now, the paragraph just above the Furtive Port Scanner explains
all about it.

http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/packet-filtering-HOWTO/packet-f
iltering-HOWTO.linuxdoc-7.html

and search for "-limit"

> I was reading the packet-filtering-HOWTO and came across this line
>
> Furtive port scanner:
> iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,ACK,FIN,RST RST -m limit
> - --limit 1/s -j ACCEPT
>
> Can someone explain what the -m limit --limit 1/s bit means please

Basically it just means that this rule will only ACCEPT 1 packet per second
with the default burst of 5