Mailing List Archive

IC GUI
Hi Steve,

it's very nice to see that such nice thing is coming.
Here is my wishlist :)

1) qt/kde usage, in particular, kwrite for html would be the best
as kwrite is the nicest HTML editor I've ever seen (I've been coding HTML for
almost 8 years now). Also, qt has many nice widgets, nice icons on file
selection dialog, faster redraw, etc. and is GPL-licensed.

2) it would be extremely nice to have spreadsheet-like table editor
(or ms access-like), because there's no GUI tool as far as I know to _quickly_
edit TAB-delimited files (without importing/exporting/etc).

> I am taking suggestions for features / desires for a GUI frontend to
> Interchange. Having been a Minivend user since 2.08 I have a fair idea
> of what I would like a GUI to provide. This project is slated for Linux
> users with porting to UNIX OS's to follow. Since Akopia is playing with
> MAC it will most likely be the next platform supported. For anyone
> wanting to take a peek at where I presently am (which isn't far) it can
> be viewed at:
>
> http://www.wubs.org/~steve/patricia/
>
> As stated at the url I am taking any help anyone wants to provide along
> with suggestions. I have tons of code to pour through so if you want a
> section of the app let me know :)
>
> Steve

> WDI Steve & Patti Getzinger
> 702 Lincolnway West steveandpatti@wubs.org
> South Bend, IN 46616 http://www.wubs.org/
> 219-287-4700 (Main Office) 317-535-0239 (Direct Line)

Best Wishes,
Viktors Rotanovs
Riga, Latvia. Phone/Fax +371 7377-472
IC GUI [ In reply to ]
Viktors Rotanovs wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> it's very nice to see that such nice thing is coming.
> Here is my wishlist :)
>
> 1) qt/kde usage, in particular, kwrite for html would be the best
> as kwrite is the nicest HTML editor I've ever seen (I've been coding HTML for
> almost 8 years now). Also, qt has many nice widgets, nice icons on file
> selection dialog, faster redraw, etc. and is GPL-licensed.
>
> 2) it would be extremely nice to have spreadsheet-like table editor
> (or ms access-like), because there's no GUI tool as far as I know to _quickly_
> edit TAB-delimited files (without importing/exporting/etc).
>
> On Thursday 28 December 2000 19:10, you wrote:
> > I am taking suggestions for features / desires for a GUI frontend to
> > Interchange. Having been a Minivend user since 2.08 I have a fair idea
> > of what I would like a GUI to provide. This project is slated for Linux
> > users with porting to UNIX OS's to follow. Since Akopia is playing with
> > MAC it will most likely be the next platform supported. For anyone
> > wanting to take a peek at where I presently am (which isn't far) it can
> > be viewed at:
> >
> > http://www.wubs.org/~steve/patricia/
> >
> > As stated at the url I am taking any help anyone wants to provide along
> > with suggestions. I have tons of code to pour through so if you want a
> > section of the app let me know :)
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --
> > WDI Steve & Patti Getzinger
> > 702 Lincolnway West steveandpatti@wubs.org
> > South Bend, IN 46616 http://www.wubs.org/
> > 219-287-4700 (Main Office) 317-535-0239 (Direct Line)

> Best Wishes,
> Viktors Rotanovs
> Riga, Latvia. Phone/Fax +371 7377-472

Thanks for the reply Viktors. Unfortunately at this point #1 is not slated for
inclusion. I am not familiar with the KDE environment but will happily share code
with anyone who wishes to undertake a KDE version. Maybe when I get further along
in releases I can reshape my mind to do it :) It was a thought of mine, I just
simply am not familiar with KDE. Number 2 is a definite yes. In fact hopefully
for the first release as I have the raw code in place now just need some fine
tuning to it. I will look into the HTML editor you speak of. I have all the code
from Bluefish which I am free to use but any other code that might do the job
better is always welcomed.

Again thanks for the interest and have a great day
Steve Getzinger
IC GUI [ In reply to ]
Viktors Rotanovs wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> it's very nice to see that such nice thing is coming.
> Here is my wishlist :)...

> Best Wishes,
> Viktors Rotanovs
> Riga, Latvia. Phone/Fax +371 7377-472

Further checking into KDE. Based in C++ as opposed to C (GTK+) Since there are
many inconsitancies in C++ as far as versions go it is not a good choice for
usage of cross platform apps. This is info I gathered from various C and C++
sites along with GUI app development sites. So to me this translates into locking
myself into a box as far as OS is concerned unless I want to write separate apps
for each OS. At one point Mike played with Windows and is presently with MAC.
GTK+ will port across to both with minimal problems providing I stay within
certain rules in the code.

So the official word in KDE usage is highly unlikely. For Linux and UNIX KDE
would be fine but getting into cross platform I forsee above average headaches.

Steve
IC GUI [ In reply to ]
Steve & Patti Getzinger <steveandpatti@wubs.org> writes:

> Viktors Rotanovs wrote:
>
> > 1) qt/kde usage, in particular, kwrite for html would be the best
> > as kwrite is the nicest HTML editor I've ever seen (I've been coding HTML for
> > almost 8 years now). Also, qt has many nice widgets, nice icons on file
> > selection dialog, faster redraw, etc. and is GPL-licensed.

Qt is only GPLed for Unix-like platforms. Notably, Qt for Windows and
Qt for Mac are not GPL. But, that is not really relevant here.

> I will look into the HTML editor you speak of. I have all the code
> from Bluefish which I am free to use but any other code that might
> do the job better is always welcomed.

This is verging on a slippery-slope of an editor war. Why not just
provide hooks for the user to call their favorite editor?
--
(__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1 61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543
IC GUI [ In reply to ]
> > I will look into the HTML editor you speak of. I have all the code
> > from Bluefish which I am free to use but any other code that might
> > do the job better is always welcomed.
>
> This is verging on a slippery-slope of an editor war. Why not just
> provide hooks for the user to call their favorite editor?

Jext. GPL Java text editor. It's very stable, fast, and works great. The
syntax highlighting is wonderful, and module-based. (Someone could create a
module to handle IC).

http://freshmeat.net/projects/jext/?highlight=jext

(Their homepage, jext.org, happens to be down for the moment).