Mailing List Archive

Correcting the products database
Using IC 5.10.0 and Strap

#1) I would like to be able to load products from the products.txt file
rather than use the items editor. This allows me to make changes using a
spreadsheet. How can I tell interchange to read the products.txt file and
if there are changes, dump the database file and rebuild from products.txt?
The import function only adds new products and the delete items function
fails.

#2) Anyone currently have a working FedEx shipping set up instead of UPS?

#3 ) Also, is there a way to calculate in insurance costs into the shipping.
We often have orders of over $1000 US and insurance gets EXPENSIVE,
especially for the postal service.

#4) Any hints for multiple pay paths? I want to use PayPal Express,
Authorize.net, and online checking from Authorize.net. Currently Using a
kludged access to PayPal.

#5) I see that the pricing tables for USPS Priority and EMS services are
very out of date. Could easily go broke using them. Anyone have newer tables
set up?

#6) In Admin, the layout is missing or something because the pages are
mostly scrambled text. Any suggestions on where to look for that?

As always. TIA!

David

Re: Correcting the products database [ In reply to ]
On 01/15/2016 07:43 PM, David Etheredge wrote:
> Using IC 5.10.0 and Strap
>
> #1) I would like to be able to load products from the products.txt file rather than use the items editor.
> This allows me to make changes using a spreadsheet. How can I tell interchange to read the products.txt file and if there are changes,
> dump the database file and rebuild from products.txt? The import function only adds new products and the delete items function fails.

There is either a products.sql or .products.sql in the same directory as products.txt. If you delete this *.sql file,
it will rebuild the products table from the products.txt when you restart Interchange or reconfig the catalog.

Note: I always flag my Interchange databases with "NoImport" to prevent this scenario, as I don't like this
approach.

Regards
Racke

> #2) Anyone currently have a working FedEx shipping set up instead of UPS?
>
> #3 ) Also, is there a way to calculate in insurance costs into the shipping. We often have orders of over $1000 US and insurance gets EXPENSIVE, especially for the postal service.
>
> #4) Any hints for multiple pay paths? I want to use PayPal Express, Authorize.net, and online checking from Authorize.net. Currently Using a kludged access to PayPal.
>
> #5) I see that the pricing tables for USPS Priority and EMS services are very out of date. Could easily go broke using them. Anyone have newer tables set up?
>
> #6) In Admin, the layout is missing or something because the pages are mostly scrambled text. Any suggestions on where to look for that?
>

> As always. TIA!
>
> David

Perl and Dancer Development

Visit our Perl::Dancer conference 2015.
More information on https://www.perl.dance.

Re: Correcting the products database [ In reply to ]

Right be very sure that you want to do this .. It will remove everything
from the products table and rewrite it with what's in the products.txt ...

> Regards
> Racke
>
> > #2) Anyone currently have a working FedEx shipping set up instead of
UPS?

> > #3 ) Also, is there a way to calculate in insurance costs into the
shipping. We
> often have orders of over $1000 US and insurance gets EXPENSIVE,
especially
> for the postal service.
> >
> > #4) Any hints for multiple pay paths? I want to use PayPal Express,
> Authorize.net, and online checking from Authorize.net. Currently Using a
> kludged access to PayPal.
> >
> > #5) I see that the pricing tables for USPS Priority and EMS services are
very
> out of date. Could easily go broke using them. Anyone have newer tables
set
> up?
> >
> > #6) In Admin, the layout is missing or something because the pages are
> mostly scrambled text. Any suggestions on where to look for that?

I'd check to be sure that all css and js files are loading properly, just in
case anything is missing in that area.

Re: Correcting the products database [ In reply to ]
On 16-01-15 11:43 AM, David Etheredge wrote:
> Using IC 5.10.0 and Strap
>

> #2) Anyone currently have a working FedEx shipping set up instead of UPS?

Check out Shipment::FedEx

Andrew

--
https://github.com/pullingshots ... https://metacpan.org/author/BAERGAJ

Re: Correcting the products database [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 5:43 AM, David Etheredge <David_e@charter.net> wrote:
> Using IC 5.10.0 and Strap
>
> #1) I would like to be able to load products from the products.txt file
> rather than use the items editor. This allows me to make changes using a
> spreadsheet. How can I tell interchange to read the products.txt file and
> if there are changes, dump the database file and rebuild from products.txt?
> The import function only adds new products and the delete items function
> fails.

I have a couple of clients on Windows machines who export their
products from their POS systems as CSV file into a designated
directory on their local machine.

I had them install an FTP program that looks for new files in that
directory and then auto uploads them to a directory on the server.

On the server a bash script via cron looks for the new CSV file. When
a new CSV file is detected the scripts manipulates the file (adds
column names, converts to unix line endings etc), backs up then
replaces the existing products.txt file, deletes .products.sql and
restarts the catalogue (which then replaces all product data in
mysql).

I have a both an older IC foundation based catalog and strap catalog
that this works well for. The store owner only needs to export their
data as CSV and the rest is pretty much automated.

Replacing products.txt, removing .products.sql and restarting the
catalogue has been a standard operation in IC going back to minivend.
What can get you into trouble however is duplicate skus or a bad row
of data so I always backup products.txt first as an error can be fatal
as the catalogue might not restart correctly.

Re: Correcting the products database [ In reply to ]
It almost did the job. I got an error "products not a valid database ...
failed". The cart would not load.

However, it built a table called "New_products". I deleted the
.new_products.sql, replaced the original products.sql and .products.sql,
then restarted again. This time it came up with an empty products database
and I imported the updated version.

Up and running. for this part.

BTW, I am very appreciative of the fast response and good support. It is
improved over the past.

Thanks,

Re: Correcting the products database [ In reply to ]

If I understand you correctly you are saying:
- you tried the removal of the .products.sql and placed a file called
'products.sql' in the products directory
- the result was the creation of a new_products table and an error "products
not a valid database ... failed"
- then you removed the .new_products.sql and put back products.sql and
.products.sql and restarted
- by now your products table was empty
- then you used the admin import to upload the new products file and this
worked without a problem ...

The process of importing updates creates those new_xxxxxx files.
If the process finishes successfully it is renamed to xxxxxx (so
new_products.txt would be renamed to products.txt).

Now I thought that usually the database files had an extentions of .txt ..
So a product file to update would be called 'products.txt' ...
The files with the name products.sql (or .products.sql) are the system files
... Usually you either have products.sql or .products.sql.
But perhaps somewhere in your update it has changed convention and you are
now getting .products.sql and used to have products.sql (check the time
stamps).

So if you had not named your file products.txt that would be the easy
answer, but I doubt it's this easy. :)

Re: Correcting the products database [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 5:47 AM, David Etheredge <David_e@charter.net> wrote:
> It almost did the job. I got an error "products not a valid database ...
> failed". The cart would not load.
>
> However, it built a table called "New_products". I deleted the
> .new_products.sql, replaced the original products.sql and .products.sql,
> then restarted again. This time it came up with an empty products database
> and I imported the updated version.

Understand that the trigger for IC to repopulate a table is to remove
.products.sql and restart the catalog:
su -s /bin/bash interch -c '/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange
-reconfig catalogname'

If .products.sql exists and the catalog is restarted IC will not
rebuild the table.

So if your products.txt file is in the correct format and you remove
.products.sql and restart then IC will wipe the products table and
repopulate based on the content of products.txt

If after restarting the .products.sql file is not automatically
rebuilt then it usually means that either the format of products.txt
is not right or the permissions on the file are incorrect.

So remove .products.sql and restart. If the data isn't imported then
check the format of products.txt

It generally should be TAB delimited and the first row must have the
correct column names.

Also the sku's must be unique or IC will stop on that row and usually
displays an error in the error_log file.

Once you get that working know that you can add extra columns at the
end of the first column row and IC will add these fields to the
database table also.

Also little reminder that users of this list prefer replies not to be
top posted ;-)