Mailing List Archive

Answers Wanted: 2-level categorization: Best strategy?
Hi all. I hope at least a few of you can counsel me on this.

The Construct demo uses, as the manual states, single-level
categorization for its items. I would like to change it to support
two-level categorization. To provide a practical usage example, here are
two categories and subcategories of parts I would like to list:

Mustang parts
Suspension
Interior
Drivetrain

Camaro parts
Suspension
Interior
Drivetrain

...etc.

So basically I have taken the existing categories like Nails, Hammers and
Ladders, and have changed them to Suspension, Interior and Drivetrain.
I've then made them subordinate to what I might call a 'primary category'.

I would like to then modify the pages so that the user first picks a
primary category (e.g. Mustang or Camaro), then goes to a page much like
Construct's current index, where categories are listed (e.g. Suspension,
Interior, etc.) and parts suggested.

Beyond the obvious stuff like adding another column to the Products
table, can a few of you provide an outline of how you'd go about solving
this problem? And if you have any shortcuts (like a different
architecture), I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much,

Steve Freitas
Answers Wanted: 2-level categorization: Best strategy? [ In reply to ]
Steve Freitas <sflist@ihonk.com> writes:

> The Construct demo uses, as the manual states, single-level
> categorization for its items. I would like to change it to support
> two-level categorization. To provide a practical usage example, here are
> two categories and subcategories of parts I would like to list:
>
> Mustang parts
> Suspension
> Interior
> Drivetrain
>
> Camaro parts
> Suspension
> Interior
> Drivetrain
>
> ...etc.

I have just finished a catalog that is just like this (but with
cellular telephone accessories). It was a little tricky, but I
finally got it.

Basically, I used another field in the products table for the
Mustang/Camaro stuff (addl_category in my case). I then added a form
to one of the template areas that will allow the customer to easily
change from Mustang to Camaro. This form's submit action is a dummy,
middle page. The purpose of the middle page is to extract the value
selected and enter it into a scratch variable. The middle page then
bounces to some predermined page. Finally, in the code for the left
hand side I had to modify the bar_link subroutine to generate a
coordinated search of the scratch variable and the primary category.

I'm working on getting a site up that will allow you to download all
the little tricks and hacks for IC I've written. Once I get that done
I will have the code for doing this up. It may be another week or two
before I'm done.
--
(__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1 61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543
Answers Wanted: 2-level categorization: Best strategy? [ In reply to ]
>I have just finished a catalog that is just like this (but with
>cellular telephone accessories). It was a little tricky, but I
>finally got it.

Thanks for the description of your strategy, I really appreciate it.

>I'm working on getting a site up that will allow you to download all
>the little tricks and hacks for IC I've written. Once I get that done
>I will have the code for doing this up. It may be another week or two
>before I'm done.

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

Steve Freitas
Answers Wanted: 2-level categorization: Best strategy? [ In reply to ]
where in which manual does it state the differences in the catalog types?

Troy

> > The Construct demo uses, as the manual states, single-level
> > categorization for its items. I would like to change it to support
> > two-level categorization. To provide a practical usage example, here are
> > two categories and subcategories of parts I would like to list:
> >
> > Mustang parts
> > Suspension
> > Interior
> > Drivetrain
> >
> > Camaro parts
> > Suspension
> > Interior
> > Drivetrain
> >
> > ...etc.
> >

> I have just finished a catalog that is just like this (but with
> cellular telephone accessories). It was a little tricky, but I
> finally got it.
>
> Basically, I used another field in the products table for the
> Mustang/Camaro stuff (addl_category in my case). I then added a form
> to one of the template areas that will allow the customer to easily
> change from Mustang to Camaro. This form's submit action is a dummy,
> middle page. The purpose of the middle page is to extract the value
> selected and enter it into a scratch variable. The middle page then
> bounces to some predermined page. Finally, in the code for the left
> hand side I had to modify the bar_link subroutine to generate a
> coordinated search of the scratch variable and the primary category.
>
> I'm working on getting a site up that will allow you to download all
> the little tricks and hacks for IC I've written. Once I get that done
> I will have the code for doing this up. It may be another week or two
> before I'm done.
> --
> (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
> oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1 61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543
> |_/ If you're a capitalist and you have the best goods and they're
> free, you don't have to proselytize, you just have to wait.

---
Answers Wanted: 2-level categorization: Best strategy? [ In reply to ]