168.73.26.86 is the ip address where my mysql is installed.

I also have the file cat.sql in the same place where cat.txt
When I restart the server, I get the following error:
config error: connect failed - unknown error. Driver 'mysql' installed ?

So questions are:
1. what do I do wrong?
2. Do I need to have some mysql driver installed?

Thanks for your help
MySQL connection problem [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 05:56:44PM -0500, Bogdanov, Uri wrote:
> Folks;
>
> I am trying to use mysql just for a few tables (for examlple - table 'cat')
> I installed mysql on a different machine than ic;
>
> so, i still want to use the default database for everything but the 'cat'
> table
> I went into CAT_DIR/catalogs/my_catalog/dbconf/default_db
> and modified the file cat.dbm to look like this:
>
> Database cat cat.txt dbi:mysql:My_DATABASE:168.73.26.86:3306
> 168.73.26.86 is the ip address where my mysql is installed.

Ok- so far so good.

> I also have the file cat.sql in the same place where cat.txt
> When I restart the server, I get the following error:
> config error: connect failed - unknown error. Driver 'mysql' installed ?
>
> So questions are:
> 1. what do I do wrong?
> 2. Do I need to have some mysql driver installed?

1. You need to have DBD::mysql installed on your machine to
connect to MySQL servers (even ones on other machines). You may also
need to add USER and PASS for that database.

2. YES.

--
-Spencer
spencer@mediabang.com
MySQL connection problem [ In reply to ]
Quoting Bogdanov, Uri (Uri.Bogdanov@Nextel.com):
> Folks;
>
> I am trying to use mysql just for a few tables (for examlple - table 'cat')
> I installed mysql on a different machine than ic;
>
> so, i still want to use the default database for everything but the 'cat'
> table
> I went into CAT_DIR/catalogs/my_catalog/dbconf/default_db
> and modified the file cat.dbm to look like this:
>
> Database cat cat.txt dbi:mysql:My_DATABASE:168.73.26.86:3306
> 168.73.26.86 is the ip address where my mysql is installed.

I don't understand that idiom for a MySQL DSN. The normal way is

dbi:mysql:my_database;host=168.73.26.86

I would be surprised if any DBI program would connect with that DSN.
Have you tried it?

Also, you don't need to specify 3306 as the port, that is the default.

I don't recommend mixing case on field and database table names, it is
not necessary and creates many, many, chances for things to go wrong.

--
Akopia, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH 45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman
MySQL connection problem [ In reply to ]
On Jan 5, Mike Heins wrote:
>Quoting Bogdanov, Uri (Uri.Bogdanov@Nextel.com):
>> Database cat cat.txt dbi:mysql:My_DATABASE:168.73.26.86:3306
>> 168.73.26.86 is the ip address where my mysql is installed.
>
>I don't understand that idiom for a MySQL DSN. The normal way is
>
> dbi:mysql:my_database;host=168.73.26.86

The way he has it will work *if*
1) the database is named exactly My_DATABASE, mysql database and table
names are case sensitive
2) the mysql grant tables on the remote host are setup to permit him
(and the ic server) to connect

Dan
--
Dan Busarow 949 443 4172