Are there any best practices for this?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely, Byunghee from South Korea
Re: private-key backup [ In reply to ]
Hello Byunghee,

Il 17 febbraio 2024 alle 14:52 Byunghee HWANG ha scritto:
> I have a question. Where is the safest place to store the private-key?
> Are there any best practices for this?

Do you mean backups?
If so, having at least two backup copies of your private key is good
practice:
- A copy on mass storage.
- A copy printed on paper (ASCII armoured) [1]

Those two copies should be stored in different places to minimise risks.

I would also copy/print your revocation certificate.
Does this help?
—F

[1] I actually did this by hand and if you have one of the modern
`ed25519` keys it does not even take that long.
http://www.ariis.it/static/articles/handwritten-pgp-key/page.html

Re: private-key backup [ In reply to ]
Hellow Francesco,

On Sat, 2024-02-17 at 10:13 +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> Hello Byunghee,
>
> Il 17 febbraio 2024 alle 14:52 Byunghee HWANG ha scritto:
> > I have a question. Where is the safest place to store the private-
> > key?
> > Are there any best practices for this?
>
> Do you mean backups?
> If so, having at least two backup copies of your private key is good
> practice:
> - A copy on mass storage.
> - A copy printed on paper (ASCII armoured) [1]
>
> Those two copies should be stored in different places to minimise
> risks.

Oh.. Good guidance, thanks!

> I would also copy/print your revocation certificate.
> Does this help?

Yes, rev-key thanks!

> [1] I actually did this by hand and if you have one of the modern
>     `ed25519` keys it does not even take that long.
>     http://www.ariis.it/static/articles/handwritten-pgp-key/page.html

I'm reading now it is so professional writing i think. And i'm old guy
so it takes time to learn new thing (ed25519). Someday far later, i
would be consideration about ed25519.

Have a good day ^^^ (???????????)

Thanks, Byunghee from South Korea