gpg: No key for user ID
gpg: rubin@redconnect.net: skipped: public key not found
gpg: secret: encryption failed: public key not found

I don't understand why I can't access my own public key (the ID is correct as
far as --list-keys is concerned). I need help!

david

-------------
David L Rubin
Re: can't encrypt doc to myself [ In reply to ]

DR> I created a DSA/ElG key pair using --gen-key and then I tried
DR> to encrypt a message to myself, getting the following errors:

DR> I don't understand why I can't access my own public key (the
DR> ID is correct as far as --list-keys is concerned). I need
DR> help!

DR> david

Hmmm. Well, it works for me. I would recommend possibly using the
keyid rather than the ID.

- From my work:

wtruitt@sun1464$ cd /tmp
wtruitt@sun1464$ cat > hello
simple message
wtruitt@sun1464$ gpg -ea -r walter.truitt@usa.alcatel.com hello
wtruitt@sun1464$ ls hel*
hello hello.asc
wtruitt@sun1464$ more hello.asc
- -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.0 (SunOS)

hQEOA4CXsXoqF4kAEAP8DNM0Z5K6/B6TO3Rnr7xgGncINhz4YIRdN7AAGms52LK4
D9dAxVtmNuS8UjRdkbvqaXSGcV1yJBnv/hmPF4bvmz1u5/uaqmnfR4De+zBrBhbM
JC0CN6lY2fYKzjekjojRU/T/nYRf1WsLUnakJK1y4GqdMMqbeBHq7XG7JpS7cRUE
AIAVzlesopxMQ2KjELrMs3e8a4g8r0ln3iqRDIKXhBf3TRxJehMo6tchi0K8vRdD
uDWjx303Wsra16FKoUVx0P9QB/XOLqMMhkPw35nkgTkGKH+8D64xpq0i1gnnhJis
RbEfAF6ITc+iaLlc+elXNrpjMzUk1C9K3PuXUyVyNmHiyTCYLmKvmGZ23JKyylXY
BZQY5PxDEblobv709vu7y+2IEtbVMbzcpbkEdYdVNpVQijs=
=0tzi
- -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
wtruitt@sun1464$ gpg -kv walter.truitt@usa.alcatel.com
pub 1024D/4DFD9F1E 1999-09-21 Walter Truitt \
<walter.truitt@usa.alcatel.com>
uid Walter Truitt (work) \
<wtruitt@ssd.usa.alcatel.com>
sub 1024g/2A178900 1999-09-21

wtruitt@sun1464$ rm hello.asc
wtruitt@sun1464$ gpg -ea -r 0x4DFD9F1E hello
gpg: using secondary key 2A178900 instead of primary key 4DFD9F1E
Please wait, entropy is being gathered. Do some work if it would
keep you from getting bored, because it will improve the quality
of the entropy.
wtruitt@sun1464$

-walter