Does anyone know what happened to PGP?

Please note: I'm not encouraging anyone to use proprietary, non-free
software. My interest in this is purely historical.
Re: Status of original PGP? [ In reply to ]
On 9/7/22 17:09, Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users wrote:
> On a lark I went looking for the current iteration of PGP.  It was
> bought by Symantec some years ago, and the last I heard they'd renamed
> it to "Symantec Encryption Desktop".  However, Symantec no longer has it
> available for sale or download, and scouring their site turns up
> basically nothing.
>
> Does anyone know what happened to PGP?
>
> Please note: I'm not encouraging anyone to use proprietary, non-free
> software.  My interest in this is purely historical.

I'm pretty sure it was discontinued, but I don't have a source for that.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn@rushpost.com>
http://www.rantroulette.com

Re: Status of original PGP? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 23:09:54 BST Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Does anyone know what happened to PGP?

It is *supposedly* still available from Broadcom, under the name “Symantec
Desktop Email Protection” [1].

How you can *actually* get it is another question. My understanding is that
you first need to buy a licence from one of Broadcom’s partners, then get
your licence number [2], and then finally download the software [3].

> My interest in this is purely historical.

I had a somewhat similar interest a while ago. I was trying to find some
technical details about the current version of PGP – e.g., which algorithms
does it support? Did they implement ECC keys? If so, which curves? etc.

I was never able to find this kind of information…

- Damien

[1] https://www.broadcom.com/products/advanced-threat-protection/encryption
[2] https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/206503
[3] https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/193931
Re: Status of original PGP? [ In reply to ]
On 9/7/2022 at 6:14 PM, "Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users" wrote:On a
lark I went looking for the current iteration of PGP. It was
bought by Symantec some years ago, and the last I heard they'd renamed

it to "Symantec Encryption Desktop". However, Symantec no longer has
it
available for sale or download, and scouring their site turns up
basically nothing.

Does anyone know what happened to PGP?

=====

There is still a source for PGP freeware for PGP 8.0 and
earlier:http://www.pgpi.didisoft.com/products/pgp/versions/freeware/
(I followed the successive links and then got an error page, but if
this is still considered freeware for non-commercial use, then it is
archived somewhere... https://zedz.net/ )
Vedaal
Re: Status of original PGP? [ In reply to ]
On 2022-09-08 at 00:27 +0100, Damien Goutte-Gattat wrote:
> > My interest in this is purely historical.
>
> I had a somewhat similar interest a while ago. I was trying to find
> some technical details about the current version of PGP – e.g., which
> algorithms does it support? Did they implement ECC keys? If so, which
> curves? etc.
>
> I was never able to find this kind of information…
>
> - Damien

They support P-256, P-384 and P-521 elliptic curves, but not Curve
25519

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/175932/encryption-desktop-cannot-import-ecc-pgp.html

Regards