Mailing List Archive

configure script ELF visibility
Hi,

can someone explain the configure script to me?
I am still looking for a way to make my libgpg-error and libassuan
(see gnupg2 vs gnupg) work with the 'darn' IBM dnf compilation.
And I am currently eyeing at the 'ELF visibility' check in the
configure script.
I do not understand, what or how it intends to test.
I cannot find confdefs.h or conftest.* to see what a manual compile
would result in.
According to IBMs Webpage xlC/C++ supports visibility.
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/xl-c-and-cpp-aix/16.1?topic=performance-using-visibility-attributes-extension

Maybe it should be looking like this?
if ${CC-cc} -Werror -qvisibility -S conftest.c -o conftest.s \

If my amateurish tries are correct the grep would look (maybe) different:
.globl foo{RW},hidden
.globl bar{RW},protected

Though I noticed earlier that the -Werror seems to be not supported with
cc, xlc, xlC, xlc++ they only support -qhalt={i,w,e,s}
only xlclang++ seems to support it.
see
https://www.ibm.com/docs/cs/xl-c-and-cpp-aix/16.1?topic=descriptions-qhalt-werror

If I am on the wrong path, just tell me.

Kind regards
Frank

Re: configure script ELF visibility [ In reply to ]
On 2022-06-03 at 18:05 +0200, Frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone explain the configure script to me?
> I am still looking for a way to make my libgpg-error and libassuan
> (see gnupg2 vs gnupg) work with the 'darn' IBM dnf compilation.
(...)

It's not the Right Way™, but since you apparently already have a
working gnupg package, you could create a dummy package containing no
files (hopefully that won't fail compiling) that provides that gnupg2
dependency so that whatever package needs it is happy.
If their gnupg2 package uses gpg2 as binary name a manual symlink would
suffice (but I wouldn't be surprised if gnupg2 package installed it
with gpg name)

Regards

Re: configure script ELF visibility [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 18:05, Frank said:

> And I am currently eyeing at the 'ELF visibility' check in the
> configure script.

That is pretty old code from 2007. I do not remember any details; it is
possible that this is based on Uli Drepper's original paper. it was
originally implemented for Libgcrypt - but the code is the same.

> I cannot find confdefs.h or conftest.* to see what a manual compile
> would result in.

If the conftests runs into an error, it is dumped to the config.log. If
I want to debug such things, I usually have the configure script to stop
right after the test.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service. - A. Einstein