Mailing List Archive

can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused
gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 23 06:58:18 1999 GMT using DSA key ID XXXXXXXX
gpg: requesting key XXXXXXXX from wwwkeys.pgp.net ...
gpg: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused

How do I debug this? What am I looking for?

Is there any way to test the resp. keyserver from the command line,
e.g. telnet port 80 and issue <command>?
Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
Hi Lars!

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Lars Hecking wrote:

> gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 23 06:58:18 1999 GMT using DSA key ID XXXXXXXX
> gpg: requesting key XXXXXXXX from wwwkeys.pgp.net ...
> gpg: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
>
> How do I debug this? What am I looking for?
>
> Is there any way to test the resp. keyserver from the command line,
> e.g. telnet port 80 and issue <command>?

I always use pgp5.ai.mit.edu as my Key server. Never had a connection problem.

Sean

--
GPG ID (DSA) 92B9D0CF PGP2 ID 19592A0D Linux User: #124682 ICQ: 679813
To get my PGP Keys send me an empty email with retrieve as the subject
Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
> I always use pgp5.ai.mit.edu as my Key server. Never had a connection problem.

Funny you should say that - it works for me, too! I assumed the problem
is at my end.

But I'd rather like to use one of the European servers.
Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
Hi Lars!

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Lars Hecking wrote:

> > I always use pgp5.ai.mit.edu as my Key server. Never had a connection problem.
>
> Funny you should say that - it works for me, too! I assumed the problem
> is at my end.
>
> But I'd rather like to use one of the European servers.

I could never get a connection to any of the European ones. So I gave up and
moved across the water. I also did a traceroute on the ones that I could
connect to and mit was the closest at the time.

Sean

Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie> writes:

> gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 23 06:58:18 1999 GMT using DSA key ID XXXXXXXX
> gpg: requesting key XXXXXXXX from wwwkeys.pgp.net ...
> gpg: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused

Some key servers are down quite often. Try to figure out one that is
more stable and use it's address (e.g. wwwkeys.ch.pgp.net,
blackhole.pca.dfn.de many more but those are the ones I use)

> Is there any way to test the resp. keyserver from the command line,
> e.g. telnet port 80 and issue <command>?

$ nc -v host 11371

And then issue HTTP commands. I think a short explanation is in doc/DETAILS.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with all the keyservers I've used. I
believe the problem is that gnupg doesn't know how to connect via proxy.
I have my HTTP_PROXY environment variable set but it doesn't help
either.

El vie, 26 de nov de 1999, a las 10:52:08 +0100, Werner Koch dijo:
> Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie> writes:
>

> > gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 23 06:58:18 1999 GMT using DSA key ID XXXXXXXX
> > gpg: requesting key XXXXXXXX from wwwkeys.pgp.net ...
> > gpg: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused
>
> Some key servers are down quite often. Try to figure out one that is
> more stable and use it's address (e.g. wwwkeys.ch.pgp.net,
> blackhole.pca.dfn.de many more but those are the ones I use)
>
> > Is there any way to test the resp. keyserver from the command line,
> > e.g. telnet port 80 and issue <command>?
>
> $ nc -v host 11371
>
> And then issue HTTP commands. I think a short explanation is in doc/DETAILS.
>

> --
> Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013

--
Email me with "send key pub" on subject to get my public key

By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually get to be
boss and work twelve.
-- Robert Frost
Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
Virgilio Sanz <vsanz@el-mundo.net> writes:

> I'm having the same problem with all the keyservers I've used. I
> believe the problem is that gnupg doesn't know how to connect via proxy.
> I have my HTTP_PROXY environment variable set but it doesn't help

You have to use one of the development versions (or wait a few days
for 1.0.1) and put a "--honor-http-proxy" into your ~/.gnupg/options

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
hi,

I have the same problem. Is it because I am behind a firewall? But I can
use lynx and wget to access the net.
Is there a way by which I can get gpg to use mail to get the public key
of a person rather than trying to get it thru direct connection? By sending mail to
pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net for eg.?

Thanks in advance,
Raju

Re: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused [ In reply to ]
hi,

I use gpg 1.1.0 but the man page does not mention this option. Where is
it documented?

Thanks in advance,
Raju