Mailing List Archive

Re: Single Private Key (not secret/public key pair)
J Horacio MG, at 11:11 on Sat, 4 Sep 1999, wrote:

> but I'd rather generate a private key for data encryption in my system,
> with no public key, not for communicating. Is this possible? if so,
> how?

One doesn't generate to generate a key for these situations; the key
(possible mutated with a hash) is simply a passphrase, which gpg should
prompt you for when you use the -c flag. Generating keys is only needed
for public/private keypairs.

--
Frank Tobin "To learn what is good and what is to be
www.neverending.org/~ftobin valued, those truths which cannot be

PGPenvelope = GPG and PGP5 + Pine PGP: 4F86 3BBB A816 6F0A 340F
www.neverending.org/~ftobin/resources.html 6003 56FF D10A 260C 4FA3