Mailing List Archive

rijndael implementation
Hi

This may be an instance, where if you don't know how- don't mess, but
I'll ask anyway.

Being inquisitive, and aware, I noted the new AES. I downloaded the c
code from ftp:gnuug.org [.the link on the top page points to something
that doesn't exist], and compiled it.

I put it in /usr/local/lib/gnupg along with tiger rndegd rndunix.

I tried to encrypt something with it, but it failed.
92 $ gpg -e --cipher-algo rijndael doc/josh_story.txt
gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: selected cipher algorithm is invalid

So can some kind sould point out what I did wrong, or where to read
about how one goes about incorporating a new cipher into the program?

--
\js

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
-Will Rogers
(contributed by Chris Johnston)

Re: rijndael implementation [ In reply to ]
John Saylor wrote:

> So can some kind sould point out what I did wrong, or where to read
> about how one goes about incorporating a new cipher into the program?

Put load-extension rijndael in your options file.

Here it worked, however, I got this message:

vulcan:~/tmp> gpg -e --cipher-algo rijndael file
gpg: cipher table full; ignoring other extensions

Where can I increase the size of this cipher table?

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

Re: rijndael implementation [ In reply to ]
Johan Wevers <johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl> writes:
> gpg: cipher table full; ignoring other extensions
>
> Where can I increase the size of this cipher table?

I would assume that the TABLE_SIZE define in cipher/cipher.c
is probably the right place. It's currently fixed at 10.

--
Mark Atwood | Freedom from want, freedom from fear, freedom from choice.
mra@pobox.com | Is that the freedom you want?

Re: rijndael implementation [ In reply to ]
Mark Atwood wrote:

> I would assume that the TABLE_SIZE define in cipher/cipher.c
> is probably the right place. It's currently fixed at 10.

OK, I set that to 24 and recompiled. Now it works fine. Thanks for all the
answers.

Re: rijndael implementation [ In reply to ]
Clay Speicher wrote:

> I would advise you to wait though. The implementation
> of Rijndael has not been tested much

I won't use it for any serious stuff anyway. With pgp users I usually use
CAST5, and for my own archival purposes I use IDEA.

Re: rijndael implementation [ In reply to ]
Johan Wevers <johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl> writes:

> Mark Atwood wrote:
>
> > I would assume that the TABLE_SIZE define in cipher/cipher.c
> > is probably the right place. It's currently fixed at 10.
>
> OK, I set that to 24 and recompiled. Now it works fine. Thanks for all the
> answers.

I started hacking last night at making it dynamic.

Re: rijndael implementation [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Mark Atwood wrote:

> I started hacking last night at making it dynamic.

Don't put to much work into it - the interface will change in 1.1.

Ciao,

Werner

--
Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013