Mailing List Archive

Help! cant do a thing - trustdb.gpg not being created
Hi,

I'm having some real problems getting GnuPG working: A trustdb.gpg just
never gets created - and every time I try to do something with my newly
generated key pair, I get the following:-

gpg: fatal: ./.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: can't open: No such file or directory

I've deleted my ~/.gnupg directory several times and started from
scratch, following the handbook and howto instructions on generating a
new pair. I can do --list-keys and everything looks fine. Then I try
--edit-key and the same message appears yet again! --update-trustdb
gives the same error as well

I've seen some postings from people who have deleted their trustdb.gpg
files, and had new ones automatically created but not for me! I've even
given world-write access to ~/.gnupg in case it was a permissions
problem - but no.

I renamed my ./gnupg directory, and tried to import the keyring into a
new one (as I had seen somebody else doing in the list archive).
Everything except trustdb.gpg was created...

<snippet>
gpg: ./.gnupg/options: new options file created
gpg: ./.gnupg/secring.gpg: keyring created
gpg: ./.gnupg/pubring.gpg: keyring created
gpg: pub 1024D/C31A67A6 2000-09-25 Darren Scott (Executive Director)
<dscott@bluecheese.co.uk>
gpg: key C31A67A6: public key imported
gpg: fatal: ./.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: can't open: No such file or directory
</snippet>

Thanks for any help or advice - please cc: replies to me personally as
I'm not a subscriber.

Version 0.9.8/Red Hat 6.1 - same problem with both RPM and source
installations

--
Darren Scott
Production Director

Re: Help! cant do a thing - trustdb.gpg not being created [ In reply to ]
* Darren Scott <dscott@bluecheese.co.uk> [000926 15:37]:
<SNIPPAGE>
> gpg: fatal: ./.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: can't open: No such file or directory

$ touch $HOME/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg ?

-Mick
Key fingerprint = 3575 925A F712 F421 81CD 5896 F7E2 7F04 C439 BA2E
Re: Help! cant do a thing - trustdb.gpg not being created [ In reply to ]
Mick,

Forgot to mention I tried that. It complains of a bad format.

Can anyone send me dump of their trustdb.gpg - obviously after jumbling
some letters and adding fictional UserIDs. Then at least I could try
creating it manually.

Thanks for the reply :-)

Re: Help! cant do a thing - trustdb.gpg not being created [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Darren Scott wrote:

> Mick,
>
> Forgot to mention I tried that. It complains of a bad format.

Delete the curuppted trustdb and let gpg create a new one for you.

Check the permissions and run gpg with -v to get more info.

> Can anyone send me dump of their trustdb.gpg - obviously after jumbling
> some letters and adding fictional UserIDs. Then at least I could try
> creating it manually.

No, you can't. gpg has to create this file - if it doesn't something
is really broken on your system or your copy of gpg.

Ciao,

Werner

--
Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de

Re: Help! cant do a thing - trustdb.gpg not being created [ In reply to ]
One more suggestion:

Run gpg under strace to see what happens:

strae -o out -e file gpg whateveroptionsyou use

then have a look at "out" or mail it to me (it may reveal parts of
your secret keyring so better use a test setup).

Ciao,

Werner