Mailing List Archive

DSA = DSS?
As far as I can tell from reading docs and FAQs[1] DSA (as it appears in
GnuPG) is the same as DSS under PGP (as it appears in PGP 5/6), yes?

IOW, in all the reading I've done it's implicit/tacit that GnuPG will
inter-operate with PGP, with the exception of RSA! So, I take that to
mean that GnuPG's -- Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA, ELG -- DSA and ElGamal default
key pair option is therefore synonymous with PGP's DSS.

Straighten me out, please.

$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA, ELG

[1] <http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/pgpfaq.html>

John

--
John Bacalle

Re: DSA = DSS? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, John Bacalle wrote:

> As far as I can tell from reading docs and FAQs[1] DSA (as it appears in
> GnuPG) is the same as DSS under PGP (as it appears in PGP 5/6), yes?

DSA = Digital Signature Algorithm.

DSS = Digital Signature Standard.
This is the combination of DSA, the SHA-1 hash algorithm and
some other minor things.

DH = Diffie-Hellman Keyexchange (PGP uses this for ELG-E)

ELG = ElGamal Encryption (can be used for signatures but is not
suggested).

ELG-E = Same as ELG but has another OpenPGP identifier number which
flags it as only to be used for encryption. This is what
PGP calls DH.

--
Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de

Re: DSA = DSS? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 06:37:14AM -0700, L. Sassaman wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, John Bacalle wrote:
-snip GnuPG/PGP can exchange DSA/DSS messages?-
> For some reason, the encryption subkey in PGP is called "DH". It's really
> ElGamal Encryption (ELG-E).

> The [digital signature] algorithm used in PGP is DSA, [the]
> hash is SHA-1.

(Thanks to Werner and yourself I have a better understanding of things
now. Much gratitude! I need to explicitly clarify, though.)

So, if PGP does DSA-SHA1 (but, calls it DSS - fine), and GnuPG does the
same (it's the default --gen-key option afterall), therefore both can fully
inter-operate in this pubkey format?

Ditto ELG-E/DH?

> [To GPG<->PGP] just disable that ELG support, and add the RSA and IDEA
> modules (provided it's leagal where you are).

OK.

[Recapping]

GnuPG PGP
----- ---

(DSA/DSS)SHA1 Y Y

ELG-E/DH Y Y

ELG Y N

RSA N* Y

IDEA N* Y

* It is Y(es) if the module/patch available is applied.

I am already aware that GnuPG can do RSA (although can it also generate
RSA keys after patching?), but rather I was more wondering how firm was the
inter-operation of the newer pubkey/signkey formats between the two
applications?

Thus, it appears to me at this point that if I use the default GnuPG
--gen-key option (DSA + ELG-E w/SHA1) I will be just fine communicating
with PGP 5/6 users.

John

--
John Bacalle