I previously removed.

It seems that if I remove the UID, the signature is removed. I'm
surprised.

What happens if you change ISPs or names? Must one get all signers of
your UID to resign the new UID?

Feature or bug?

Please CC reply to me, as I'm not certain my list-subscribe was
accepted (no confirmation).
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 07:34:24PM -0400, Billy Donahue wrote:
> You accumulate signatures on your UID+key, not the key itself.
> A signature asserts a relation of a UID to the key.

...but a fingerprint or keyid doesn't assert UID at all. So, when you're
at a keysigning party, you should demand the UID as well?

Hmmm. I think I agree with this, but I suggest a change to the docs to
add as the primary UID only information that should never change, and add
UIDs later to contain email addresses and other ephemeral info after it.

It'd be a shame to get plenty of signatures on a single-UID key and have
your ISP go tits-up.

- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com> URL: http://web.chad.org/ (GPG)
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced".
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
* Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com> [000629 02:46]:
> ...but a fingerprint or keyid doesn't assert UID at all. So, when you're
> at a keysigning party, you should demand the UID as well?

Yes, you should.

> It'd be a shame to get plenty of signatures on a single-UID key and have
> your ISP go tits-up.

There's a better solution: Why you don't get a mail address
which you can use your whole life? There are much services
where you can get such an address, for example Hotmail.com
or Netforward.com.

Cheers, Thomas
--
.-. Thomas Bader · thomasb@trash.net.remove · http://www.t-bader.ch/ .-.
oo| oo|
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]

Thomas> * Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com> [000629 02:46]:

>> It'd be a shame to get plenty of signatures on a single-UID key
>> and have your ISP go tits-up.

Thomas> There's a better solution: Why you don't get a mail
Thomas> address which you can use your whole life? There are much
Thomas> services where you can get such an address, for example
Thomas> Hotmail.com or Netforward.com.

With a hotmail address it would be very difficult to use your key with
your messages.

-walter
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
* Walter Truitt <walter.truitt@usa.alcatel.com> [000629 15:58]:
> Thomas> * Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com> [000629 02:46]:
>
> >> It'd be a shame to get plenty of signatures on a single-UID key
> >> and have your ISP go tits-up.
>
> Thomas> There's a better solution: Why you don't get a mail
> Thomas> address which you can use your whole life? There are much
> Thomas> services where you can get such an address, for example
> Thomas> Hotmail.com or Netforward.com.
>
> With a hotmail address it would be very difficult to use your key with
> your messages.

Why?

Cheers, Thomas
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
I guess I was referring more to using a pgp-mime message. The standard
pgp block messages can be copied and pasted. Trying to check a signature
that was attached to the message could be difficult as well. Another
reason I would have preferred that people would sign a text file and
then attach the text file and signature rather than signing the text
with some of the headers.

-walter
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
* Walter Truitt <wtruitt@ssd.usa.alcatel.com> [000629 19:28]:
> I guess I was referring more to using a pgp-mime message. The standard
> pgp block messages can be copied and pasted. Trying to check a signature
> that was attached to the message could be difficult as well. Another
> reason I would have preferred that people would sign a text file and
> then attach the text file and signature rather than signing the text
> with some of the headers.

Imagine, you can forward all mails to your Hotmail account
to an other account. So, why you don't forward your Hotmail
account to your ISPs account?
Then you could use every mailer you prefer.

Cheers, Thomas
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
"L. Sassaman" <rabbi@quickie.net> writes:

> As I have often stated, PGP/MIME is ugly.

Such claims are often the result of a US-centered view of the
world. ;-)

--
Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
* Billy Donahue <billy@dadadada.net> [000702 16:58]:
> I don't see anything particularly i18n-friendly about
> PGP/MIME vs. the regular-old PGP BEGIN/END format.

Have you ever sent a message containing those umlauts (öäü)?
If you send such a message in the regular-old PGP BEGIN/END
format, then the umlauts get screwed up. If you use
PGP/MIME this didn't happen.

Cheers, Thomas
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
Why is that a US-centered view? I am in the US and agree that it is
ugly, I just don't see exactly why it would be limited to here. I
just don't like the way it works with some of my email programs.

-walter

Florian> "L. Sassaman" <rabbi@quickie.net> writes:

>> As I have often stated, PGP/MIME is ugly.

Florian> Such claims are often the result of a US-centered view of
Florian> the world. ;-)

Florian> -- Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Florian> University of Stuttgart http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/
Florian> RUS-CERT +49-711-685-5973/fax +49-711-685-5898
Florian> http://ca.uni-stuttgart.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC06EC3B5
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
Walter Truitt <wtruitt@ssd.usa.alcatel.com> writes:

[Claims that MIME-PGP is ugly and unnecessary]

> Why is that a US-centered view? I am in the US and agree that it is
> ugly, I just don't see exactly why it would be limited to here. I
> just don't like the way it works with some of my email programs.

In some regions of the world (actually, most), people can't write
their native language in plain ASCII characters. The clear-signing
approach doesn't work reliable if there are non-ASCII characters, and
MIME-PGP is a very straightforward solution.

The assumption that all languages can be adequately represented in
ASCII is certainly more common among people living in the US than, for
example, among Frenchmen.

Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]
* Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu> [000703 22:34]:
> Thomas Bader, at 09:52 +0200 on Mon, 3 Jul 2000, wrote:
> > Have you ever sent a message containing those umlauts (öäü)? If you
> > send such a message in the regular-old PGP BEGIN/END format, then the
> > umlauts get screwed up. If you use PGP/MIME this didn't happen.
>
> Seems to work fine when using PGP BEGIN/END in Pine; dunno if Pine is just
> hacking it, though.

No, this does not work. Imagine, if you send such a mail in
Quoted-Printable: There could be some MTAs which convert it
to 8Bit before storing it in the users mailbox. Due to the
converting, the signed content gets invalid.
You can avoid this by signing the content before it gets
encoded to Quoted-Printable.
But this seems only possible by using PGP-MIME. All Mailers
I know do the signing *after* encoding to Quoted-Printable.

Cheers, Thomas
Re: keysigning ?= UIDsigning [ In reply to ]