Mailing List Archive

using GNUpg as part of a web application
hi,

I'm using PHP to build a fairly complex set of web applications, of which
encryption is an important part.

I need the following functions:

-----------------
-encrypt($key, $plaintext)
returns cyphertext

-decrypt($key, $cyphertext)
returns plaintext

-genkey($length)
returns key string
-----------------

My question is as follows:

It appears that GNUpg _will_not_ accept a passed key or even external file
reference for a key. This will likely prevent me from using it, which is why
I am sending mail to this list to verify that fact... is it indeed true?

If so, why?

please e-mail me directly as I have not subscribed to the list.

TIA!

_alex

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
enigma@turingstudio.com

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522
Re: using GNUpg as part of a web application [ In reply to ]
> Alex Black:

> It appears that GNUpg _will_not_ accept a passed key or even external file
> reference for a key. This will likely prevent me from using it, which is why
> I am sending mail to this list to verify that fact... is it indeed true?
>
> If so, why?

i acknowledge your need of keys passed as parameters to the functions you
are to make, but the basic model of use for gpg/pgp is simply different.
think about constructing a "web of trust". this task needs not only key-
management but also a database of keys who vouch for one another and
therefore ahve to be persistent. nevertheless functions like the one you
are talking about do make sense. did you look into openssl?

clemens