Mailing List Archive

State of the W32 version
Hi,

here is my second try on explaining the current state of the Windows 95
etc. version of GnuPG. The first one was eaten up by Mutt for some unknown
reason. I guess I hit the wrong key while using a German keyboard at
home - so back to my Vaio:

o GnuPG for W32 (the version which uses the Win^B^B32 API: Windows 95, 98,
NT) has a few minor bugs. One that come into my mind is a problem with
not working localtime() et al. functions in the MS C runtime. You may
see timestamps a few hours off.

I do not think that this is a very serious problem has computer clocks
tends to be wrong on may boxes. If you really need a timestamp you have
to use some trusted timestamping service anyway,

Fix should be easy but has not yet been done.

o There are some problem reports concerning the entropy DLL which does not
seem to work on some machines (some AMD CPUs and all Windows2000
versions). These problems just make GnuPG spinning around to wait for
more entropy - because Windows/entropy.dll has no self-healing service
it just son't do it's job.

There is no security problem with that. GnuPG is very conservative when
estimating the quality of random data. The usual Windows backdoors are
the cracker's better friends than GnuPG itself. If you have some
serious doubts about the RNG, please, please tell us here (please use
private mail if you figure out a really serious flaw - but check twice).

The whole RNG thing in GnuPG is based on Peter Gutmann's Cryptlib ideas
and some code (rndunix.c) acually has been taken from it. I am
currently in the process of rewriting the rndw32.c driver to avoid the
use of an extra dll (which is also based on Peter's ideas) which can't
be compiled with out cross-compiling system MingW32/CPD. If you trust
Peter's Cryptlib - which is a very fine piece of software - you may
consider to have a little bit of trust into GnuPG RNG code,

o A GUI - Hmm. there are some for Unix and we are currently working on the
GNU Privacy Assistant. It already does some things but needs a lot of
more work. The Good Thing with GPA is that the same code base is used
for Unix and Windows. It took me just a few hours to do the initial
port (and many hours to figure out how handles are inherited) - now we
can build a W32 version or a GNU version from the same code using our
usual development environment and VNC to test on NT, W95, W98.

The next version 1.0.2 should be usable under W32 like the current one is on
Unix. Volunteers for testing the new RNG code on many W32 configurations are
required before we can release it ;-)

Werner

--
Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013