interest, so if you know of one, I suppose you could post it here.

Thanks.

- Tom Hall
Re: Looking for an encrypted list [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 9 May 2000, Tom Hall wrote:

> I'd like to get on an encrypted email list run by something like
> pgpdomo.

Where can I get more info on pgpdomo?

---
Chuck Milam
chuck@milams.net
Re: Looking for an encrypted list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 08:20:32AM -0500, Chuck Milam wrote:

> Where can I get more info on pgpdomo?

I found a tgz file at:
ftp://ftp.jpunix.com/pub/PGPdomo/pgpdomo.tar.Z

Hopefully, you configure the "path to PGP", and instead use GnuPG,
and it'll work just fine.

After all, GnuPG is a "Full replacement of PGP" ;-)

- Tom Hall
Re: Looking for an encrypted list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 May 2000, Chuck Milam wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Tom Hall wrote:
>
> > I'd like to get on an encrypted email list run by something like
> > pgpdomo.
>
> Where can I get more info on pgpdomo?

ftp://ftp/jpunix.com

I'm the maintaining author at the moment. But I really don't want to get
into supporting it as it needs an upgrade to the latest Perl and still has
a problem with moderated lists.

John Perry perry@jpunix.com PGP-encrypted e-mail welcome!
PGP/GPG key 164BDBAE
WWW - http://www.jpunix.com
ICQ# 64823745
Re: Looking for an encrypted list [ In reply to ]

Tom> I found a tgz file at:
Tom> ftp://ftp.jpunix.com/pub/PGPdomo/pgpdomo.tar.Z

Tom> Hopefully, you configure the "path to PGP", and instead use GnuPG,
Tom> and it'll work just fine.

Tom> After all, GnuPG is a "Full replacement of PGP" ;-)

A word of pessimism: GnuPG is indeed meant to be a replacement of PGP,
but (*sigh*) that doesn't mean it's a transparent replacement.
Specifically: its command-line options are quite different, and I'd
expect any program that was designed to use PGP would fail miserably
if given GnuPG, because the program would pass command-line options
that work for PGP, but don't work for GnuPG.

Now, it would probably be reasonably straightforward to re-write the
program to deal with GnuPG, but it would require work.

Note that I've never actually seen pgpdomo; I'm just being a
pessimist.

And another thing: GnuPG (by default, at least) doesn't support the
IDEA or RSA encryption algorithms, yet those are the only algorithms
that PGP 2.0 for MS-DOS uses. So unless you get some GnuPG extensions
for those algorithms, you cannot add PGP 2.0 keys to your keyring, or
encrypt for PGP 2.0 users, or decrypt messages from them.

--
PGP Fingerprint: 3E7B A3F3 96CA 8958 ACC5 C8BD 6337 0041 C01C 5276
Re: Looking for an encrypted list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 08:33:28AM -0700, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> A word of pessimism: GnuPG is indeed meant to be a replacement of PGP,
> but (*sigh*) that doesn't mean it's a transparent replacement.
> Specifically: its command-line options are quite different, and I'd
> expect any program that was designed to use PGP would fail miserably
> if given GnuPG, because the program would pass command-line options
> that work for PGP, but don't work for GnuPG.
>
> Now, it would probably be reasonably straightforward to re-write the
> program to deal with GnuPG, but it would require work.

Or you could write a wrapper script to translate pgp commands into gpg
ones? Don't use pgp so don't know how well that works.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la. All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.
-- Tiny Tim.
Re: Looking for an encrypted list [ In reply to ]
> Or you could write a wrapper script to translate pgp commands into gpg
> ones? Don't use pgp so don't know how well that works.

You mean like

http://muppet.faveve.uni-stuttgart.de/~gero/gpg-2comp ?

--
First Corollary of Taber's Second Law:
Machines that piss people off get murdered.
Re: Looking for an encrypted list [ In reply to ]