Mailing List Archive

failing to import PGP 5.0 key
Re: failing to import PGP 5.0 key [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Andreas Schamanek wrote:

> # gpg --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1
> Copyright (C) 1999 (...)
>
> Supported algorithms:
> Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
> Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS GPG VERSION FROM? mine says:
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1

Supported algorithms:
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA, ELG

--
ino-waiting@gmx.net
Re: failing to import PGP 5.0 key [ In reply to ]
Fischer, at 20:33 +0200 on Sat, 22 Apr 2000, wrote:

> WHERE DID YOU GET THIS GPG VERSION FROM? mine says:
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1
>
> Supported algorithms:
> Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
> Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA, ELG

If what you are asking is how that person got RSA and IDEA enabled, you
can find the dynamically-loadable modules at

ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/pub/gcrypt/contrib/

Documentation on how to use them is described in the header of the source.

--
Frank Tobin http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/

"To learn what is good and what is to be valued,
those truths which cannot be shaken or changed." Myst: The Book of Atrus
Re: failing to import PGP 5.0 key [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:

> If what you are asking is how that person got RSA and IDEA enabled, you
> can find the dynamically-loadable modules at
>
> ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/pub/gcrypt/contrib/
>
> Documentation on how to use them is described in the header of the source.

au weia. warum weiss ich sowas nie? how come i dont know about such
things? went to ftp.gnupg.org/..., picked up idea.c and rsa.c, read the
license declarations, the compilation procedures, did as told, and:

Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG

but of course, whenever things improve, people want more. i'm no
different. how do i _generate_ rsa's? not that it matters much, i can
always use pgp(263i|5i) for that, but then, the sources include the
facility, i just cannot tell gpg 1.0.1 to use it. or can i? the day
will come when rsa is no longer the least common denominator, and decent
people will generate what god made them for, but will i live to see my
nephew type|say "gpg --gen-key rsa"? well. september 20th, 2000.

> <

to put it shortly: thanks for the info, frank.

--
ino-waiting@gmx.net
Re: failing to import PGP 5.0 key [ In reply to ]
Fischer wrote:

> how do i _generate_ rsa's?

With pgp 2.63i, or wait until spetember when the RSA patent expires for this
functionality to appear in gpg.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
Re: failing to import PGP 5.0 key [ In reply to ]
Trevor Smith wrote:

> Out of curiousity, is the RSA add-on being worked on now

I don't know.

>Or does the law demand that no work on it is even possible without a
>license (while it is still patented)?

The RSA patent is not valid in germany, where Werner lives, so he doesn't
have to care about that patent anyway.

Re: failing to import PGP 5.0 key [ In reply to ]