Mailing List Archive

unsuported key algorithm?
Hi all!

I keep getting this kind of problems, hope someone can help me out:

gpg: requesting key <something> from finland.keyserver.net ...
gpg: key <something>: unsupported public key algorithm
gpg: key something>: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: w/o user IDs: 1

Then I tried with the --allow-non-selfsigned-uid (I know thats not great,
but I'm just testing this)

but then i get:

gpg: requesting key <something> from finland.keyserver.net ...
gpg: key <something>: unsupported public key algorithm
gpg: key : accepted non self-signed user ID '(some key )
<some@dress.abc>'
gpg: key <something>: public key imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

and when I do
echo testing|gpg -er 8F0E6845

i get:
gpg: 8F0E6845: skipped: unknown pubkey algorithm
gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: unknown pubkey algorithm

Is this an RSA key, and if it is, how do i use the --load-extension and
rsa-keys? Where can I get the extensions?

this is what i find in the handbook:

load-extension object-file
Elaborate.

:-)

/johan
MAIL:p99jlu@physto.se
HTTP://johan.hello.to Johan Lundberg
PGP: 0xD3A0A0E5 17764 Jarfalla
B847 687B 8971 0AAC 1C29 Vibblabyv. 28
DBA1 AB5F 664F D3A0 A0E5 +46(0)8-580 17259
Re: unsuported key algorithm? [ In reply to ]
> Yes, the manual is missing a lot. I had offered to complete it if I could
> have the rights to reprint it as an appendix to my upcoming book, but it
> looks like by doing so I will need to release my book under GPL. Which I
> won't do...

Licence wars aside, post your addendum here and we'll look at it.

I am not sure how the GPL would apply to books, but I'm quite certain
that a way [ not involving lia^H^Hawyers ] can be found to accomodate
your situation.

--
A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out
of a divorce.
Re: unsuported key algorithm? [ In reply to ]
El vie, 31 de mar de 2000, a las 06:10:15 -0800, L. Sassaman dijo:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Lars Hecking wrote:
>

> > > Yes, the manual is missing a lot. I had offered to complete it if I could
> > > have the rights to reprint it as an appendix to my upcoming book, but it
> > > looks like by doing so I will need to release my book under GPL. Which I
> > > won't do...

The manual is missing a lot just because it is being developed (written)
on a volunteer contribution basis. Give it time and it will become a
more complete handbook or reference book.

> > Licence wars aside, post your addendum here and we'll look at it.

Which is to say, make your contribution available.

> Well, that's my point. I am either going to fill in the blanks in the GPH,
> or write my own "guide to GnuPG" for the book, not both... so I would need
> to be granted the rights to reprint part (I'm only interested in
> reprinting the commands/options/usage half) of the GPH before I actually
> spent the time working on it, since I am behind schedule as it is.

I hope you don't mind me asking but, what kind of licencing do you have
in mind for the book?

Horacio Anno MMDCCLIII aUC
mailto:homega@ciberia.es
~Spain ~Spanje ~Spanien
Key fingerprint = F4EE AE5E 2F01 0DB3 62F2 A9F4 AD31 7093 4233 7AE6
Re: unsuported key algorithm? [ In reply to ]
El sáb, 01 de abr de 2000, a las 01:53:51 -0800, L. Sassaman dijo:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Horacio MG wrote:
>
> > The manual is missing a lot just because it is being developed
> > (written) on a volunteer contribution basis. Give it time and it
> > will become a more complete handbook or reference book.
>
> Right. And I offered to finish it.

IMHO, even if GnuPG is an already stable system, there's still lots of
development in the make for having a `finished' book/guide done. Adding
more information will help for a more complete handbook, but may be a
bit too early to have a "definitive book". Just IMHO.

> Surely. If I were to contribute, I would make the contribution
> available.

Good, go ahead then and post to the GnuPG Doc List <gnupg-doc@gnupg.org>
then. The list I believe it was recently setup for this purpose and has
been pretty inactive so far.

> > I hope you don't mind me asking but, what kind of licencing do you
> > have in mind for the book?
>
> A standard copyright, as with all published books. I don't see how the
> GPL fits in with the book publishing world...

Agreed with the GPL part of it. I just wondered if you would make it
available in a similar fashion as the cvsbook (say both in print and
some online version of it).

Re: unsuported key algorithm? [ In reply to ]
Re: unsuported key algorithm? [ In reply to ]
Re: unsuported key algorithm? [ In reply to ]
Re: unsuported key algorithm? [ In reply to ]