Mailing List Archive

Compatibility list
Here's a question which might be a bit off topic but I'll ask anyway
since I'm already subscribed.

Can anyone help me fill in the list below to indicate what keys are
"compatible" with what versions of PGP and GnuPG?

PGP 2.6.x
-can encrypt/decrypt with PGP 2.6.x keys

PGP 5.x
-can encrypt/decrypt with PGP 2.6.x keys
-can encrypt/decrypt with PGP 5.x keys

PGP 6.x
-can encrypt/decrypt with PGP 6.x keys

GnuPG 1.x
-can encrypt/decrypt with GnuPG 1.x keys

--
Trevor Smith | trevor@haligonian.com
PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA 671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6
Re: Compatibility list [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 11:50:52AM -0400, Trevor Smith wrote:
> Can anyone help me fill in the list below to indicate what keys are
> "compatible" with what versions of PGP and GnuPG?
Good idea.

I would like to see a comprehensive list on one of the web sites, maybe
gnupg's one. (please take into account that the compatibility of gpg strongly
depends on the options you give it)

bye,

-christian-

--
Christian Hammers WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren Tel 0241/701333-0
ch@westend.com Internet & Security for Professionals Fax 0241/911879
Re: Compatibility list [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Trevor Smith wrote:

> GnuPG 1.x
> -can encrypt/decrypt with GnuPG 1.x keys

The correct answer is that GnuPG can handle all OpenPGP (rfc24404)
compliant messages. It supports even most of the optional things from
OpenPGP but this is not a matter because OpenPGP has a way to
negotiate most of those optional features. Optional features which are not
supported are the IDEA and RSA algorithms (the last one will have
official support in 187 days).

It is a sad story that PGP 6 is not OpenPGP compliant and I don't know
why they don't fix these few things.

Werner
Re: Compatibility list [ In reply to ]
El vie, 17 de mar de 2000, a las 11:33:54 +0100, Werner Koch dijo:

> [...]
> Optional features which are not
> supported are the IDEA and RSA algorithms (the last one will have
> official support in 187 days).

May we assume that RSA will be integral part of GnuPG at that time? If
so, will it make a big difference over compiling the rsa.c module as
we're doing right now?

> It is a sad story that PGP 6 is not OpenPGP compliant and I don't know
> why they don't fix these few things.

Someone said recently that OpenPGP standard was based on PGP 5.x, but
being the standard newer than the system version, the latest would
obviously not be fully compliant with the standard. Fair. Anyone dares
to give his/her view on why PGP 6.x is not OpenPGP compliant?

--
Horacio Anno MMDCCLIII aUC
homega@ciberia.es Valencia - ESPAÑA