Mailing List Archive

PGP 5.x and GnuPG
I've been reading through web resources on GnuPG and can't find a
definitive answer to an issue that seems to me to be THE issue for
any current PGP 5.x user interested in switching to GnuPG. The issue
is basic interoperability between PGP and GnuPG and, I believe, is
summed up in these four questions:

1. Can GnuPG encrypt messages using a public key generated by PGP
5.x?

2. Can PGP 5.x encrypt messages using a public key generated by
GnuPG?

3. Can PGP 5.x verify the authenticity of messages which have been
GnuPG signed?

4. Can GnuPG verify the authenticity of messages which have been PGP
5.x signed?

Also, do the answers to the above questions change if "PGP 5.x" is
substituted with "even more recent versions of PGP"?

From my readings on GnuPG and OpenPGP, I am guessing the answer to
all the above questions is yes. However, it seems bizarre to me that
nowhere in my reading did I find a statement similar to, "GnuPG is
completely compatible with PGP 5.x." If this is the case, I think
this should be the first piece of information in any GnuPG
documentation.

Am I missing something?

--
Trevor Smith | trevor@haligonian.com
PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA 671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6
Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
El vie, 17 de mar de 2000, a las 06:55:18 -0400, Trevor Smith dijo:

> Also, do the answers to the above questions change if "PGP 5.x" is
> substituted with "even more recent versions of PGP"?

I don't think so (at least as far as GnuPG 1.0 is concerned).

> From my readings on GnuPG and OpenPGP, I am guessing the answer to
> all the above questions is yes. However, it seems bizarre to me that
> nowhere in my reading did I find a statement similar to, "GnuPG is
> completely compatible with PGP 5.x." If this is the case, I think
> this should be the first piece of information in any GnuPG
> documentation.
>
> Am I missing something?

Did you read www.gnupg.org/gph/en/pgp2x/t1.html? You might find that
useful. Also, there is an old document which you might still find
useful: www.technocage.com/~caskey/gpg/pgp2gnupg.html

--
Horacio Anno MMDCCLIII aUC
homega@ciberia.es Valencia - ESPAÑA
Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Trevor Smith wrote:

> Can GnuPG properly exchange signed and/or encrypted messages with PGP
> 5.x?

Yes, if you don't use RSA keys generated by PGP2 or PGP5,6.

Werner
Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 01:01:04 +0100, Horacio MG wrote:

>Did you read www.gnupg.org/gph/en/pgp2x/t1.html? You might find that

I looked at it briefly. It refers to PGP 2.x and I was asking about
PGP 5.x (which is why I repeatedly specified that version number). I
am not concerned with compatibility with "old" versions of PGP.

I am asking if GnuPG is able to properly exchange signed and/or
encrypted messages with PGP 5.x. Can it?

>useful. Also, there is an old document which you might still find
>useful: www.technocage.com/~caskey/gpg/pgp2gnupg.html

I also saw this document but it starts with this disclaimer:

Note: THIS INFORMATION ONLY APPLIES TO
PRE-1.0 VERSIONS OF GNUPG

I understood that GnuPG 1.0 and even newer versions have been
released so I assumed that the information in that document was now
irrelevant. In fact, it is based on the use of "gpg (GNUPG) 0.4.0;
Copyright (C) 1998..." That makes the document at least 1.25 years
old.

Now I'm really starting to wonder if I am missing something obvious
since you replied to my message but ignored my main questions.

To repeat:

Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:50:50 -0800 (PST), L. Sassaman wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Trevor Smith wrote:
>
>> 2. Can PGP 5.x encrypt messages using a public key generated by
>> GnuPG?
>
>If is is a v3 key.

OK, next question: what the heck is a v3 key? And a v4 key (referred
to later in your reply)?

From the context above, it appears a v3 key is something produced by
GnuPG. But GnuPG is only at release level 1.0.1, correct?

>The reason is mainly the v3 vs. v4 key types. Note that PGP5 is not
>OpenPGP compliant.

Weird. Doesn't the OpenPGP RFC start by saying that OpenPGP is a
proposed standard based on PGP 5.0? How did PGP5 manage not to comply
with the RFC based on it?

Re: PGP 5.x and GnuPG [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:25:29 -0800 (PST), William X. Walsh wrote:

>Well, I don't know about this. I've had a large problem with PGP 6.x not being
>able to decrypt messages encrypted by GnuPG, regardless if they key it is
>encrypting to was created in GnuPG or PGP.

So you're saying that GnuPG and PGP are *not* compatible and people
using one may not be able to successfully exchange encrypted
documents with users of the other?

Or is your problem rare or intermittent, with the majority of
GnuPG-encrypted messages being handled properly by PGP 6.x?